Diverticulosis, IBS, Stress
        I'm hoping to find some feedback here. I had an attack of diverticulitis about 5 years ago. I had a small abcsess, was hospitalized 5 days, treated with IV anitbiotics. Had a follow up colonoscopy. Result was a few small scattered diverticula, everything else looked very good, no polyps, nothing! I've had IBS most of my adult life also..After colonoscopy, Doc said "see you in 5 years"..I have still had occasional IBS problems, mostly when stressed. This past 6 weeks have been VERY stressful. For 3 days now i've had lower abdominal dull ache..and some pain that comes and goes, usually results in BM that is similar to IBS....mucousy..painful. This is not the same worsening intense pain i had with diverticulitis..but it is in the same location...now my question is could it be stress causing more severe IBS than i usually have ..or the diverticulosis? I don't think i have a fever..i did with the attack 5 years ago....and December 09' is the 5 year marking the next colonoscopy.i have some mild lower back achiness also......anyone else have some idea what could be going on? Can't tell if it's bad IBS or diverticulitis again. Thanx for any input
Try adding a lot of fiber to your diet to see if it helps.  Go ahead and schedule the next colonoscopy.  You could get it done now.  They can check if it is ibs or diverculitis again.  If it was serious you would probably have a fever or more pain.
I never noticed or thought about the correlation between diverticulitis and stress, but after thinking about it now - my major episodes did correspond with times of major stress in my life.  I had my worst ones 5 years ago when my mom was in the hospital leading up to her death, followed by one a few weeks later that sent me to the ER.  IAnd there was a hurricane (IVAN) in that same time frame).

I believe I have the beginnings of one coming on - and have been dealing with my father in the hospital with 2 near death episodes about 3 weeks apart.

I am sure that 5 years ago and again now, my diet has not been that good.... but whatcha gonna do?

I know that I did not answer your questions, but I think our symptoms and experiences are extrememly similar, so I thought I would share mine.