Do I have a perforated colon?
Two days ago, I engaged in an activity that could have potentially caused a perforated colon. Since then, I've had a mild pain in my abdomen. I know that in most cases of perforated bowels, the patient experiences severe abdominal pain; however, I've also read that in the case of small perforations, a patient may only feel a dull, nagging pain that may be ignored. I haven't developed a fever or an increased heart rate, which I know is a good sign. But I am experiencing some of the other symptoms associated with perforated bowel such as lack of appetite/constantly feeling like my stomach is full, constant thirst, change in the color of my stool. Am I worried about nothing? Since I haven't developed fever or an increased heart rate, that comforts me. But what about the other symptoms I'm experiencing, could they possibly indicate that I may have a small perforation in my colon?
A clinical examination and work up is very essential for confirming the diagnosis. A perforated bowel is a medical emergency in which the bowel contents empty into the rest of the abdominal cavity. Any severe traumatic injury, sepsis or blood infection, Crohn’s Disease, or diverticulitis can result in colon perforation. The common symptoms are high fever, nausea, severe extreme abdominal pain, intense vomiting .Those experiencing or suspecting this condition should waste no time in seeing by a doctor. Abdominal fullness, change in appetite and changes in color of stools can be due to many other conditions like food allergy, stomach flu or food poisoning etc.See a gastroenterologist.
Take care and kind regards!
Hi there!

Well, without a detailed clinical evaluation it would be difficult to determine the cause of your symptoms. Possibilities that may need to be considered include stress/ anxiety, GI motility issues, hormonal/ endocrine abnormalities, inflammation etc. None of the symptoms specifically suggest a perforation. I would suggest getting this evaluated by a primary care physician initially and depending on the cause diagnosed/ suspected, it can be managed accordingly or specialist care may be sought.
Hope this is helpful.

Take care!