Gastroenterology Community
Does anyone remove large intestine ?

This forum is for questions regarding Gastroenterology issues such as Acid Reflux (GERD), Barretts Esophagus, Colitis, Colon/Bowel Disorders, Crohn's Disease, Diverticulitis/ Diverticulosis, Digestive Disorders and Stomach Pain.

Does anyone remove large intestine ?

I have severe severe severe constipation, thinking to remove large instestine. Everyday I just suffer and no mood to do things.  Now waiting to see the doctor in Calgary. I know some one not so bad after surgery, but some have severe dirahera.  I am still very scared the bad effect.  I am apprepiated you can write me your experience after surgery. Thanks you ! Thank you !
If you have your colon removed, you will have many bowels movements in the beginning.  They will taper off on their own, but you can also help by using Immodium Anti-Diarrhea medication (over the counter).  Then you will have to watch and see what foods cause you to have more frequent bowel movements.  My son had his colon removed at 12.  He is a marathoner, ultrathoner, mountain biker,competes in jujitsu, and a speed hiker.  His hikes put him alone in the wilderness for weeks at a time.  He is 38 years old.  He has not allowed not having a colon to even slow him down.  I think attitude and common sense goes a long way after this type of surgery.
Thanks for your information.

I hope I make the right decision, Now, I just waiting in December's call from doctor office and let me know the appointment time. Everyday I feel sick, In Hong Kong, mortality rate of colon operation is 35% is very high.  I already heard have 6 persons die after remove the colon, so I hope I can do this in calgary.

Thank you thank you !

Hi - did we not have an exchange of postings some months ago??  I recall that Dr Pho reassured you that in USA/Canada the mortality rate from a total colectomy was much lower than the figure that you were told from HK and that the next challenge was to try and find a top-grade surgeon in Calgary?  I also passed details to you of my own experience following a total colectomy on:-

http://www.medhelp.org/posts/show/523166

I am disturbed to learn that you are still "in limbo" after all this time.  

I feel that if constipation is badly affecting your life now - then the period of diarrhoea that will follow a total colectomy (~3 months..) will be more tolerable for you.

regards
Morecambe

Thanks for your writing.  Once a while, the constipation recovered a short while, but now constipated again. The doctor you recommend to me is refused to see me. Now,another doctor (general surgery)will phone me on Dec to let me know the next appointment time, As I feel sick every min. I don't know how can I stand for so long to see the doctor. If I come back to see doctor in HK,I don't have a place to live, because I can't let my brother know I do operation in HK, as he is very strongly resist me to do it.He always talking to me on the phone how dangerous the surgery is.  Now, I feel more comfortable after you explained to me but I don't know what to do. Now, the laxative is not working and very little poop come out.  Morecambe, I don't know how to thank you for your kindness to me !

Hello again - all I can suggest is that:-

- you ask the Calgary doctor for an earlier appointment/surgery.  Tell him/her that your life is at a standstill due to the constipation and that it is surely better for you to receive the soonest possible relevant treatment rather than have to go to the ER every few days....??

- secondly, I think that you should seriously consider that your brother in HK is misinformed about the risks of the operation.  Maybe if he were told on good authority that the mortality risk of the operation is similar to USA/Canada (~2%??) he would be more sympathetic to you travelling to HK for a quicker/sooner surgery??

- to achieve this I suggest that you try to contact a colorectal surgeon at a major HK hospital and ask about the risks/mortality rate.  In fact just on impulse, I just typed "colo rectal surgeons in Hong Kong" into google and there is a very professional-looking website describing the intestinal surgery at a major HK hospital.  It looks equally high-quality to any USA institution.  Log on to:-

http://www3.hku.hk/surgery/colo/php

Then you may wish to email/fax them asking if you can come to their hospital for a possible total colectomy as soon as possible - but you are understandably scared and can they tell you the mortality rate for this surgery etc.

Good luck

regards
Morecambe

Hi another thought....maybe things can get done much quicker in USA.  Perhaps they see that  "if you can pay then you can get it done now....??"

In Calgary you are not far from Seattle (~600 km??).  If you are able to visit Seattle then type in "colorectal surgeons in Seattle" to find one and seek an appointment.

Good luck

regards
Morecambe
Thanks for your information.  I will keep searching the doctors in Hong Kong.  As for the seattle, I am not familiar that place, maybe I don't think for this moment.

Thank you so much !