Gastroenterology Community
Dont know what else to do..Please help

This forum is for questions regarding Gastroenterology issues such as Acid Reflux (GERD), Barretts Esophagus, Colitis, Colon/Bowel Disorders, Crohn's Disease, Diverticulitis/ Diverticulosis, Digestive Disorders and Stomach Pain.

Dont know what else to do..Please help

I am now a 41 year old male and I had sigmoid resection just under 2 years ago following a number of attacks of accute diverticulitis with perforations and it has been nothing but a life of random living hell ever since. My surgery consisted of a number of arthroscopic points prior to getting the 'cut and removing a section of my bowel.
Each day is a unknown proposition and is effecting my life in every way imaginable. My bathroom habbits are so unpredictble going from constipation and cramping to incontinence diarrhea. I get random shooting pains up my rectum, ongoing cramping in my stomach, not unlike the pain prior to surgery. I cannot sit straight for periods of time having to sit on my side or lie down. My umbilicus has also getting sharp stabbing pains followed by a bloody brown ***** thick sustance in my umbilicus, which is quite deep.I have been put on numerous antibiotics to calm it down and ultra sounds have shown up clear. Recently i discovered a small piece of plastic which I pulled from there which doctors are informing me it could have been left there during my  arthroscopic  procedure but a couple of weeks later, the problem continues. I have been informed that I might have to have more surgery to see if any other reminisce remains post surgery.  I recently had another minor operation where the surgeons removed a flap of skin from inside my anus which has slowed down the sharp shooting pains up my rectum but they still occur. Ive lost count now of the procedures Ive had only for the doctors to tell me that my original diagnosis is now all ok but they seem to be at a loss to why I am continuing to have these issues. It has and is effecting every part of my life personally and professionally. I was a successful and very outgoing travel agent, travelling around the world upto 6 times a year but although I have tried going back to work my bowel habits and cramping have made it impossible to do my job not to mention embarrassing. I have distanced myself from family, friends and work colleges in fear of the unpredictable nature of my condition. The only place I visit socialy is places with public facilities so I can deal with things in a more dignified manor when things go wrong.
My diet has changed where I now have 25 grams on avg. a day. In fact I have lost almost 45 Kilograms since been diagnosed. I exercise by walking on most days where possible
I feel as if the doctors have almost given up on me saying I might have IBS and while the medication I take for that helps with bloating it hasnt stopped my other symptoms. My surgeon now tells me to see how I go and is up to me whether I live my life as been handicapped or disabled but they will continue to monitor me every 3-6 mths in addition to seeing my GP on a regular basis which is not the most encouraging advise Ive received. It is causing me so much duress as I am desperate to return to my normal life to the point I have been put on depression and anxiety medication.
I know this is sounding like a rant but I am at my wits end as I feel like everything I was has slipped away and dont know who else to talk too.
Any help or advise or support form similar individuals will be so so apprciated as I dont know where to turn next.

J
It sounds like u need to go back to the surgeon that did the resection.  If u can't sit up straight w/o pain & have bloody, Brown +++++ from your umbilical, & pulling plastic pieces out of yourself something is not right.   I had emergency surgery 5 wks ago, r hemicolectomy due to twisted colon.  I was lucky one of the best surgeon s was on call & came & did my surgery @ 5am.  Still afraid to go out, to be to far from the bathroom & having pain in my back & lower stomach.   Also l get tired very easily.  I'm only a few yrs younger than u & hope this recovery time gets easier.   I'm a  RN & I do home health,so your situation sound s like something did not go right during the 1st surgery or something left in u that's not supposed to be there.  Hope this is helpful.  Campolmi4575