Dry Heaving from Stress
I have been very stressed for the past two weeks. I started off throwing up a little bit and although the vomiting has stopped, I began dry heaving. This doesnt seem  to be going away. I'm 5'4" and down to 97 pounds. I've been trying very hard to keep my food down so I don't lose anymore weight. What is this exactly and how do I make it stop?

Hi - I can relate to this symptom  In my case - as it appears to be in yours - the cause is stress related and/or anxiety induced.  There can be many "triggers" such as:-

- having to speak in public
- worrying about sitting down to a meal and "dry retching" at the table
- having to drive friends and worrying about them scrutinising your driving
- meetings at work/social meetings
- and lots more

you may wish to seek psychological help whereby the underlying causes can be identified and coping strategies developed.

I found that dry retching never caused any expulsion of liquid from the stomach/mouth and that sometimes it was possible to disguise the retching in a bout of "pretend coughing" so as to minimise the staring of friends etc.

also if I was about to face a stressful situation, I would have a quiet "dry retch" a few minutes in advance and this would forestall the onset of retching when the event had just started.

Good ;uck - and do send through another posting if I can help further.

Morecambe