Aa
A
A
Close
Dry Heaving from Stress
I have been very stressed for the past two weeks. I started off throwing up a little bit and although the vomiting has stopped, I began dry heaving. This doesnt seem  to be going away. I'm 5'4" and down to 97 pounds. I've been trying very hard to keep my food down so I don't lose anymore weight. What is this exactly and how do I make it stop?
Cancel
1 Answers
Page 1 of 1

Hi - I can relate to this symptom  In my case - as it appears to be in yours - the cause is stress related and/or anxiety induced.  There can be many "triggers" such as:-

- having to speak in public
- worrying about sitting down to a meal and "dry retching" at the table
- having to drive friends and worrying about them scrutinising your driving
- meetings at work/social meetings
- and lots more

you may wish to seek psychological help whereby the underlying causes can be identified and coping strategies developed.

I found that dry retching never caused any expulsion of liquid from the stomach/mouth and that sometimes it was possible to disguise the retching in a bout of "pretend coughing" so as to minimise the staring of friends etc.

also if I was about to face a stressful situation, I would have a quiet "dry retch" a few minutes in advance and this would forestall the onset of retching when the event had just started.

Good ;uck - and do send through another posting if I can help further.

Morecambe
Comment
Cancel
Comment
Comment
Comment
Comment
Post Comment
Your Answer
Answer
Do you know how to answer? Tap here to leave your answer...
Answer
Answer
Post Answer
A
A
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
Gastroenterology Community Resources