Gastroenterology Community
Dull, lower left back pain?

This forum is for questions regarding Gastroenterology issues such as Acid Reflux (GERD), Barretts Esophagus, Colitis, Colon/Bowel Disorders, Crohn's Disease, Diverticulitis/ Diverticulosis, Digestive Disorders and Stomach Pain.

Dull, lower left back pain?

What could cause this?

For several days, I have been experiencing a dull pain in my lower left back - I would say at the hip or pelvis line - definitely lower than the kidneys.  It is in the back rather than the abdominal area, but does not feel like standard back pain (which I also have from time to time) - I mean, it does not feel like muscular or joint pain - it feels like abdominal pain - it's just located in the back.  The pain is dull but gets sharper when I stand and walk.  The level of pain differs when laying down depending on how I position myself.  

Other symptoms right now include the leftovers of a cold (slight cough, sniffle), and intermittent slight nausea / stomach upset.  

Possibly related history:  in 2008, I had an anal abscess (which was drained) which turned into a fistula in 2009.  Sometime in spring 2009, I had this same dull left back pain.  When I went to see the doctor about it, he assumed the pain was related to the fistula (which I hadn't had any issues with aside from occasional blood).  A few months later, I had a partial fistulotomy and seton placement - after which I no longer had the dull pain, followed by the completion of the surgery in December).  It has been over a month since the fistulotomy and everything in that area feels fine and healed.  

This dull pain just started again in the last few days.  Otherwise, I thought I was starting to feel healthy again.

Any thoughts or recommendations?
I am exp the same thing after the partial fistlilotomy.  What did you learn?