Gastroenterology Community
Dull Ache in Right Abdomen

This forum is for questions regarding Gastroenterology issues such as Acid Reflux (GERD), Barretts Esophagus, Colitis, Colon/Bowel Disorders, Crohn's Disease, Diverticulitis/ Diverticulosis, Digestive Disorders and Stomach Pain.

Dull Ache in Right Abdomen

Hi, I've been having a dull ache in the right side of my abdomen for maybe 3-4 months now. It isn't actually pain, in the sense that it "hurts," but I can definitely feel it. If you start from the belly button and move right (medical perspective), that's where it aches. It happens whenever I move, especially when I'm stretching. Actually It's kind of hard to pinpoint exactly where it is. My lower back often aches at the same time it is.

The thing is, I am 18, and the past year has been pretty stressful. I stopped exercising and went from 140 lbs to maybe 160 lbs over the course of 5-6 months. Naturally, I just attributed this pain to "becoming fat." Now I'm trying to figure out what exactly this is. I spend a lot of time in front of the computer. That might explain the back problem, but not the side ache. Can anyone help?
Tags: abdomen, ache, dull ache, right, Pain, help
Although this feeling sort of constant, I've noticed that it gets progressively worse throughout the day. For example, I spent my day fine today, and now at 9:00 pm, I'm starting to feel it enough that I would make this post.
Thats a common IBS spot. And the way your description of how the pain amps up a bit throughout the day into the night is even more typical. Do you have any pain at all when you sleep? Does it seem to be better after a bowel movement?

Over the past 3-4 months has the pain at all become progressively worse, or has it remained the same? To me, it sounds very much like IBS, but if you want to take some anxiety away about the issue, I would recommend a basic visit with your GP. I doubt its the appendix, as 3-4 months, youd be having some major issues by now. And there is really nothing else around there that could cause the dull ache. Could be trapped gas or just normal colon spasms. Talk to your doc, they will probably run a basic blood test and tell you its IBS.