Gastroenterology Community
Duodenal Fluid Backup

This forum is for questions regarding Gastroenterology issues such as Acid Reflux (GERD), Barretts Esophagus, Colitis, Colon/Bowel Disorders, Crohn's Disease, Diverticulitis/ Diverticulosis, Digestive Disorders and Stomach Pain.

Duodenal Fluid Backup

I recently had a MRCP done that showed a backup of fluid in the Duodenum and that the fluid was not flowing in the correct direction. My doctor has not yet seen the results of this scan. For the past few years I have had symptoms of intense, burning pain right under the right rib cage, spreading across the chest and down the back. Because of this, I had my gallbladder removed in 2011; but the pain only got worse. The area is always tender to the touch. I have been on Prilosec for over two months now, and while the pain has subsided some, it still hurts and I still get attacks of horrible pain, sometimes twice a day. Lately, my stomach has just been aching for no reason and I have had off and on bouts of diarrhea and nausea (other than that, I am fairly regular with no odd colored stools). What could the test result mean? What could be going on? I constantly have gas and my stomach always feels slightly bloated.
I have no idea what you are describing because an MRCP doesn't give any information about flow as they are static images. Please re--post when you have the results in hand.
Apologies, it reads the fluid backup "may be due to improper flow" It also notes that there is "no biliary obstruction" nor anything else that is "remarkable".
This sure sounds like a negative study.
You might be lactose intolerant if you haven't already been tested for it. I have had stomach problems since may and that is one of the things I have researched. Maybe worth asking your doctor about if it hasn't already been discussed. Hope that helps!