Gastroenterology Community
Duodenum & an excruciating pain. HELP!!

This forum is for questions regarding Gastroenterology issues such as Acid Reflux (GERD), Barretts Esophagus, Colitis, Colon/Bowel Disorders, Crohn's Disease, Diverticulitis/ Diverticulosis, Digestive Disorders and Stomach Pain.

Duodenum & an excruciating pain. HELP!!

Im 21 years old, and VERY scared. I had a stomach pain so severe it sent me to the hospital, they said I had an inflamed pancreas, & lipase literally 10 times the norm [it was 1170]. The next day I had a ct scan, and an mri, both came out normal, so that rules out pancreas problems, and gallstones. I left the hospital once my lipase levels were down & I felt betetr & had an appt for an ednoscopy in a few days..BUT 3 hours later it happened again, EXCRUCIATING PAIN. I immediately went to the went to the nearest hospital: While there they did an endoscopy, they said I had an eroded stomach lining, and an inflamed duodenum. I have to wait another 2-4 days for the biopsy taken with the endoscopy to see what else may be wrong. I will be getting my doctors thoughts but for the sake of the next 160 or so  hours: Anybody have this, and recovered? If I took a ct scan, mri, and endoscopy will that rule out the possibility for an ulcer inside my duodenum? or will only the biopsy show that?  I was thinking it could be an infected duodenum ["H. Pylori"] but could that have caused erosion of my stomach lining, a pain that severe, and a prior inflamed pancreas?
H. pylori may be the cause of gastritis, and when gastritis goes worse, ulcer can develope either in the stomach or duodenum. Have a test for H. pylori.

Only endoscopy can show, if there is ulcer or not. CT/MRI could only show more gross changes within the bowel.

Where exactly was the pain?
Have you felt pain under the right rib cage? Lipase (pancreatic enzyme) may be increased when a small gallstone sticks at the point where bile and pancreatic duct meet, and this may be overlooked during CT/MRI. Such a stone can release and another one may stick there later...
Thanks for your response, Boron. I cant tell exactly where my pain is coming from, as it feels like the entire stomach area is one big ball of fire. I've had some abdominal pain over the course of two years, and just dealt with it as it came. Later I thought I could be Lactose, so I changed my eating habits and took lactaid pills when I wanted dairy...the pain got progressively worse until a few days ago when it was just intolerable and I had to be rushed to E.R. Considering the pain has gotten worse over two years, leads me to believe it is not stones. I think H. Pylori could be the culprit, but I'm not sure if an ulcer could have grown. I got a regular endoscopy that said my duodenum was inflamed, but could they for sure tell if it had an ulcer without getting a duodenoscopy? I don't know the difference between the two "escopys". Anyways, I've given up cigarettes, alcohol, and most the food that I love. What scares me most is I went to the hospital after eating vegetables! avocado, tomato, and cucumber salad to be exact, so I have to do my research on high/low fat foods.
Endoscopy is actuall called esophago-gastro-duodenoscopy, so they probably checked doudenum also.

It's possible that the cause of inflammation is H. pylori, well, you need to wait for tests. H. pylori is treated with antibiotics.

Avocado/tomato/cucumber are acidic foods, so maybe this triggered the pain in the inflammed stomach/duodenum.
A few weeks ago the same thing happened to me I am certain it was a Gall Bladder Attack,I have gone on a diet I got from the internet cutting out most Fats actually it is a low fat diet as you need some Fat, Tomatoes could have triggered your attack if it was Gall Bladder, I printed out the diet they recomended and it has worked at the time I also had Taked the anti Histimine Hydroxyzine which could have triggered it as a virus infection, are you on any Meds that could cause or make it worse, incidently I tried Caritin after and the same thing happened only not quite so severe as the first.You have to be your own Detective here as you get told a muti tude of stuff, go to your Search Engine and get a List of food you can eat and food you cant eat.
Thank you Margypops, I will definitely look up a recommended low fat diet. I looked up the symptoms of a gall bladder attack, and although I have many of the symptoms, I'm wondering if an attack of the gall bladder could have caused an inflamed pancreas, and duodenum. My gall bladder was not inflamed, but maybe it's still an option as I'm no doctor. Thank you both for your help, I plan on getting my biopsy results a little later than thought as it's the weekend and he's not in until Monday but If he says they don't know whats wrong I'll go get checked for H. Pylori [if I haven't already done so], and talk to him about my gall bladder.