Gastroenterology Community
Dyspepsia after alcohol

This forum is for questions regarding Gastroenterology issues such as Acid Reflux (GERD), Barretts Esophagus, Colitis, Colon/Bowel Disorders, Crohn's Disease, Diverticulitis/ Diverticulosis, Digestive Disorders and Stomach Pain.

Dyspepsia after alcohol

I am a 39 year old male.  I am in excellent shape, don't take any medications and don't have any health issues (other than the subject of this post).  

My stomach never bothers me except that I seem to have an unusual reaction to alcohol.  I understand the simple answer is "so don't drink alcohol" but I'd love to have a better understanding of what's going on.  It really is a lifestyle issue for me.

When I drink even small amounts --say one full drink-- I enjoy the drink and typically feel OK when I wake up the next morning but by the evening (i.e., evening subsequent to the date I drank)  I start to feel a burning, gnawing sensation in my stomach.  It will then typically last for about a week --sometimes less, sometimes more.  (It doesn't wake me up at night and is not tender to the touch but is significant and omnipresent.)

I had an endoscopy a few years ago, which was more recently reviewed by a second gastroenterologist.  The second doctor told me the endoscopy was basically fine-- (i.e., that it showed some extremely minor gastritis but not anything that should have been causing me material discomfort.)

My stomach pain does not respond to PPI's or anything else, although the first time I took PPI's, strangely enough, they did make a notable difference.  Ever since then, the paid subsides in time but without regard to anything I take or try.  

My second doctor believed I suffer from functional dyspepsia.  He used the metaphor of a radio and suggested that the nerve signals in my stomach were being set at too high of a volume.  I've read extensively trying to find this sort of reaction to alcohol but never found anything on point.  He also believes stress plays a role.  (Again, in the absence of alcohol, I don't experience any symptoms.)

As I mentioned, I understand I really should be avoiding alcohol; however, any insights or avenues of exploration would be greatly appreciated.
Welcome to the gastroenterology community!  The only thing I can tell you that you may not already know (as you already understand what I would have said, which would be to stop drinking alcohol) is that many people out there have mild food intolerances to different things.  For some people it's gluten, for others it is coffee, and for you it could be alcohol.  You could do some experimenting and see if all alcohol bothers you, or if only certain types bother you.