Gastroenterology Community
EGD findings?

This forum is for questions regarding Gastroenterology issues such as Acid Reflux (GERD), Barretts Esophagus, Colitis, Colon/Bowel Disorders, Crohn's Disease, Diverticulitis/ Diverticulosis, Digestive Disorders and Stomach Pain.

EGD findings?

Hi there!

I just had an endoscopy done this morning, and am now looking at the discharge papers. Under findings for the procedure it says:

Impressions:
-A hiatus hernia found (553.3).
-Gastritis found in the antrum and body of the stomach (535.50). Biopsy taken.
-Atrophic mucosa found in the duodenum. Biopsy taken.

Can anyone explain to me what any of this means in layman's terms? Thanks a bunch :-)
Also - IS it normal to have chest pains when I swallow food or drink after this procedure? I can feel the food/drink going down behind my sternum and it is pretty painful, to the point where I would rather just be hungry.
The finding of atrophic mucosa in the duodenum may suggest a problem with celiac disease, although the only way to know is to wait for the results from the biopsy. Atrophic typically means the surface of that portion of the small intestine (duodenum - first part of the small intestine) is somewhat abnormal. Celiac disease is typically described as having 'flattened' villi (small finger-like projections) on the surface.

A hiatal hernia is a movement of the upper portion of the stomach through the diaphragm. It can result in the movement of acid from the stomach into the esophagus and a feeling of 'heartburn.'

Gastritis is an inflammatory pattern that is found in the stomach typically due to excessive acid production. Your gastritis was found within the main portion of the stomach (the body) and at the lower end (the antrum). The biopsy was taken in the stomach to look for the presence of H. pylori, the bacterium that is implicated in the production of acid reflux and gastritis.
i had an EGD done yesterday and the finding were some mild gastritis and thickening of the esophageal wall causing problems with swallowing
Have a Gastro question?
100,000+ doctor answers