Gastroenterology Community
ERCP versus EGD
About This Community:

This forum is for questions regarding Gastroenterology issues such as Acid Reflux (GERD), Barretts Esophagus, Colitis, Colon/Bowel Disorders, Crohn's Disease, Diverticulitis/ Diverticulosis, Digestive Disorders and Stomach Pain.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

ERCP versus EGD

having an unsedated EGD wasn't all that bad for me...but that was mostly due to the fact it only lasted about 5 minutes...it was a pretty intense 5 minutes......Can anyone relate this to ERCP?  I know the scope follows the same general path,  what are your experiences with ERCP if you have had one?  How long did it take and was it much worse than plain EGD aside from the fact that it took longer?
Related Discussions
2 Comments Post a Comment
Blank
82861_tn?1333457511
Don't even THINK about having an ERCP without sedation.  The entire procedure is longer because the doc has to go beyond your stomach and into the duodenum to locate the opening of the common bile duct.  Then dye is run up the duct so it can be visualized under fluoroscopy.   It does take longer than a typical EGD.  If any doctor tells you that you can do this without sedation, I would advise you to run, and find another doctor.  

I had ERCP several years ago, and the sedation needed was a bit more than EGD according to the anesthesiologist.  In my case, they started with versed and demorol, and then to thorazine because I started to wake up.  I have a very vague memory of that and it was only for a few seconds.  
Blank
I've had several ercp's the first 2  I had general anesthesia and the 3rd one I was just sedated.  Trust me you want the general.  The ercp is much more invasive than just and egd.
Blank
Post a Comment
To
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
Gastroenterology Community Resources
RSS Expert Activity
233488_tn?1310696703
Blank
New Cannabis Article from NORTH Mag...