Gastroenterology Community
EXTREME Brain Fog (especially after eating)

This forum is for questions regarding Gastroenterology issues such as Acid Reflux (GERD), Barretts Esophagus, Colitis, Colon/Bowel Disorders, Crohn's Disease, Diverticulitis/ Diverticulosis, Digestive Disorders and Stomach Pain.

This is my final resort. In the past few weeks I've been to the E.R. twice, my regular phsycian numerous times, a neurologist, an endocronologist and an infectious disease doctor. I've had numerous MRI's, blood tests, etc. and everything has come back negative. (other than a test that says my B12 level is kind of low)

Currently I'm been experienceing:

*Constant "brain-fog" - feeling completely out of it or as though i'm on drugs or alcohol - unreal feeling
*persistent stomach pains and gas
*headaches
*weakness
*unexplained anxiety/panic attack/depressive sympt.
*numbness
*loss of appetite
*irritability
*chills/hot flashes
*spots in front of my eyes

Last night I had extreme stomach pains and diarreha - which was a first for me since this began. Afterwards, all of the symptoms seemed to subside. I did not eat for the rest of the night or the mroning. However, once I ate lunch the brain-fog and other symptoms reoccured. I'm now thinking this could be a GI issue.

Can anyone help me?!
did they check your stomach?
Not yet. Right now my only other two options are a Gastroenterologist or a Psychiatrist.
You better book your appt with gastro doc early,tell him it is an emergency.
You should also post this on the paid forum so you can get the MD to answer your question,also you would get some good responses from the readers .
I have the exact same symptoms. Within a half hour of eating I get this weird dizziness/drunk feeling, nausea and sometimes headaches. I was tested for Celiac disease because my symptoms  matched almost perfectly--came back negative. The only test that has come back positive was mild gastritis and acid reflux via endoscopy. I was prescribed Pariet for that and thought maybe that was the cause so I quit taking them for a while but symptoms continued. My dr. is puzzled as to what it could be. Did you ever find out the cause? If so please let me know...this is very annoying!!
Could be the beginning of IBD. I would get it checked out..
hey -- posted back to you in the symptoms forum... keep us posted.
You mean Helicobacter Pylori? I had that test done 2 times (breath test and biopsy) both came back negative. My grandmother was positive for that and she had symptoms like I am having so that is why I was tested...no luck there! My dr. is telling me it's in my head but I beg to differ!
Do yourself a favor and rule out Hector Pylori bacteria infection,it can be done in the office thru a breath test.
I think 'Helicobacter Pylori' is the proper term for H Pylori bacteria.
may be not enough stomach acid??
Could be, but I suffer from extreme acid reflux--I wake up choking on my own acid and sometimes even the PPI's I am taking don't help so I have to take Pepto Bismol or Tums on top of that. The only thing I can think of is possibly a food allergy? I have been keeping a food journal to figure out which foods and I haven't really come up with one specific food--seems to be a bunch or one day the food won't cause problems the next it will--very frustrating!
Thanks for the help Yoshi!

It sounds like it could very well be food allergies. Your pulse also races after eating something you are allergic to.
have you bean checked fore high our low blood sugar
did you ever figure out what it is?
i have the same thing man just no spots/hot cold flashes.
Ive been everywhere as well, all thats left is gastroenterologist and allergist. brain fog is pretty brutal, and I dont know about you but often feel like im dreaming or something. Had it for a year now.. I too tested negative for celiac
I have been sufferring from similar symptoms the past few years. Sometimes I feel really drunk after about an hour of lunch (i dont have breakfast) After a complete check up, the doc found that I had candida infection and LGS (Leaky gut syndrome). The symptims of LGS are almost similar to an allergy but it is not quite the same. LGS gives delayed symptoms, like teh next day or 2. I feel drowsy/intoxicated about an hour or 2 after I eat anything the next day. Sleeping makes it better. Another diff is allergy is usually specific to 1-2 food products. LGS symtoms (symptoms) can be caused by almist any grain. I myslef avoid all grains/cereals/foodgrains/soy except rice and meat. Last but not least, LGS CAN be cured, unlike an allergy which is lifelong. You'all can reach me at zoomipper at hot male.
This is very strange! I am having the same exact symptoms as you and others on this site.  They have happened gradually and have become a way of life for the past 3 years.  I have earache and upper teeth ache like I have bad sinus infection, just don't have the "junk" that goes with.  My symptoms are with me all the time and can be very debilitating.  However, they are worse after a snack or meal and sometimes are very noticeable if I NEED to eat.  I noticed in the beginning of all this that I had low blood sugar a lot and seem to have to eat every hour and half.  I tried juicing but it did not help.Sleeping also makes me better but within a few minutes of awakening I am right back sick again.  I have also seen many phyisians/specialists (17 to be exact) at a major medical facility. They don't know what it is just throw meds at it.  I have battled severe depression w all this bcause I can no longer wrk.  MY PERSONAL diagnosis is candida/LGS.  I thought it was very strange your doc had diagnosed you with this crazy thing too.. but think it's odd none of my docs could figure it out. let me hear from u tttenorprincess at hot male
hello zoom 99, you say LGS can be cured?what is or are the drugs for it?And after treatment how do u feel?
Hi everyone, I have all these same problems and I have spent around 25-30 thousand dollars going from specialist to specialist. And the concensious is its all mental. I even went to psychiatrist and took all thier stupid anti psychotic drugs and still no better.  I have turn to a learning dr of sorts in training that is working hard on the case though. (ME) And I have boght every book that gives me any insight and I have been on the computer studying everything I can find that even sounds remotely plausable. Heck I have even been going to psychics to see if they can help!!! In fact I'm not sure theres a treatment out there that I have'nt tried atleast once- I could tell you some crazy stories! I have done treatments that even the naturalpaths have'nt heard of. I have been on alot of web site forums and their are alot of people suffering from this same thing... But here are a few of the last things I am checking into that make the most sence.
!- candida, and leaky gut
2- food sensitivitys
3 start taking your temperature like 4 hours after you get out of bed, then 4 hours later, and then 4 hours later, write it all down and keep a record. If you have low temperatures you have a hard time digesting food, look up wilsons syndrome.
4- go get a hair analysists probably from a naturepath of a cyropractor because if your over toxic with minerals or heavy metals it wreacks havic on your brain and body. I am to the point that I have a hard time eating anything and it seams to get worse as the day goes on. Sugars and starches seem to make mine worse.And there is sugar in everything espiesally fruit. I swear this has got to be what lsd feels like.
Carey
Hey guys,
I'm in Sydney Australia and have been describing almost evry exact symptoms as all of you for the past 1 and half years...very spaced out and tired after i eat (almost dream like state) which goes on for hours!!!
I have numbness feeling in limbs and high anxiety levels as well as Yoshi hot flushes etc...

I have recently developed HIVES it's now been 4 weeks and i have seen a n immunologist which, will send me to a nutritionis to undertake an elimination diet...which is quite annoying cause i have been on a few in the last year and a half!!!

I will also be tested for H Pylori and other auto immune diseases in next few weeks!!!

I have asked for a gastroscopy and colonoscopy to be done as well and if after all these tests i can't find anything well as doctors have been telling me, i am too stressed and i need to relax and be calm!!!

How the hell is that possible, when i have recently had to leave work due to the symptoms, that have made me quite week!!!

If you have any suggestios, feel free to answer, thank you!!!
Sorry i was answering you not yoshi!!! About the symptoms...i also get a funny gas like coming up im my breath that tastes almost onion like, but i do not eat onions!!! And this feeling of weakness is one of the worst feelings ever, especially cause i constantly feel like i had bottles of wine!!!

The Hives for the last 4 weeks (obviously my body trying to say something)!!!

Hope it all works out!!!
Saidyes, have yourself checked for celiac disease. Try to get your doc to do a fecal antibody test. It's much more accurate than either a blood test or the biopsy. You can read up on it at enterolab.com.

Every symptom you're describing could fit a person with celiac disease - especially the brain fog and fatigue. And the 'hives' could be the rash that celiacs get.
Thanks for your suggestions,
I have been tested for celiac disease and through bloo and feaces and it has turned up negative! Hives still present it is nos 6 weeks, elimination diet doen't seem to be working!!! Will try for another few weeks then specialists will run other specific test!!! Tired, but always open to suggestions :-)
I have all of these symptoms to the T.. and I have crohn's disease.
I to have had acid reflux and brain fog.. try this it worked for me go out and buy a juicer.. when you wake up first thing you drink is the juice of 4 carrots (organic only) and two granny smith apples and a small piece of ginger... about a half hour after  eat 1/2 cup cooked steel cut oatmeal...for lunch an apple or banana... dinner a salad and some brown rice or whole grain bread... No coffee..green tea and honey is o.k. and plenty of water.. do this for one week and start to heal your body and if you are smoking anything quit NOW! good luck to all
i eat healthy like that. mostly fruits vegetables, whole grains. i drink mostly soy or decaf green tea and dont drink coffee, soda or alcohol and ive had brain fog for little over a year. other simptoms are acouple of teeth are sore all in the second molar. i also have raynaulds phenomenon so dont know if the numbness in one of my index fingers is from that. i also have clogged up nasal passages. so dont know if its a sinus infection or a tooth infection that could be causing the brain fog. but it does go a way when i sleep but a few minutes after waking up my brain goes back into a fog. have a hard time remembering things, and staying focused. been feeling stupid and started to get depressed more.
Hi, I found out I have diabetes 2, and started metformin, had chest pains, spaced out, cloudy thinking, fog, started lexapro, felt more depressed.  still fog for the last 2 years, and still never goes away.  Did a spit test, first thing in the morning, sure enough shows candida. Showed it to my Dr. and she said, not a relable site.  Feel like going to a homepathy (sp)? Everyone tells me it's anxiety, or just my personality, but could it be something else?? Sometimes by brain feels like yeast.  Does that make sense to anyone??  I'm on celexa and seroquel for mood stabizer and sleep???Could it be meds or me???? Lost weight and off meformin.  Could I have had candida and leaky gut without knowing it??? Had diarrea (diarrhea) for years and it's back again!! have lots of memory loss!!?????
I had all of the above symptoms 5 years ago.  I still get the brain fog after certain foods.  I saw several doctors including hematologists, gastroenterologists, neurologists, GP, dietitians etc.

It was very difficult until I went to Johns Hopkins in Baltimore and they told me that there are lots of people with similar problems.  They told me even though the allergy tests are negative to avoid the foods that bother me and to take benydrl and Zyrtec.  I had to stop the pills because I was having lots of nightmares. They told me to get exercise and practice sleep hygiene.  Thank god I went to that hospital!!!

What works best for me is a multivitamin every morning, lots of exercise and a strict diet.  I did an elimination diet to figure out what works for me. I stopped eating processed food completely.  I eat just veggies, fruit, nuts, seeds, fish and chicken.   I never eat Dairy or things that contain Gluten.   I know it sounds tough, and it will be at first but it is worth it to feel good again.

I hope this helps someone get better sooner than I did.  I know what you are going through!! Hang in there!!  

I am sorry that you have been feeling so sick, I also have these feelings but not as severe, In suffer from chronic fatigue syndrome and dysautonomia (POTS) which can cause all of these symptoms.  Take you blood pressure in the morning(Still in bed) then again 15 minutes later  standing up,,  See what happens to your Blood pressre and heart rate,   do this for a week or two. keep a log , If the blood pressure changes by more than 20 points and or your heart rate increases by 20-30 points, you might have a form of dysautonomia.  What happens is that a lot of people do  not have enough blood volume in your body and when we eat a lot of the blood goes to the stomach and not enough gets back to our brain causing the brain fog among other symptoms.  If this is the case you should see a cardiologis (electrophysiologist) or a neurologist that deal and know about dysautonomias and get a tilt table test done, and go from there, in the mean while stay very well hydrated, drink a lot of water and electrolyte drinks  (like gatorate2) and this should help ( If thiis is what you have)
Keep me inform of your progress and good luck!!!
Maritza
Dealt with brain-fog symptoms off and on for 10 years now. Over this time I have learned how to deal with and treat them if they arise.

It's ALWAYS certain foods or supplements that cause brainfog for me. As soon as the trigger is identified and stopped, then the fog dissipates within hours.

Food rotation is vital. Most people eat the same foods regularly and this builds an intolerance to them over time (from my experience) If you're suffering from symptoms, rotate different foods so that you only eat the same foods ONCE a week. This goes for supplements as well, because one of my biggest triggers is so called MIRACLE fish oil. Once a week for me is my max. tolerance.

Creatine on the other hand is a supplement I have been taking regularly and it helps tremendously. Yes weight lifters use it. Get over it. If it works it works.

Try this, keep POSITIVE, laugh, listen to good music, and hang out with good friends regularly. Oh and physical exercise, particularly weight/resistance training has been KEY to my recovery. There is too much evidence to dispute this and too many benefits to list.
I experienced brain fog today after I ate lunch at a pizza buffet.  I know I ate too much and I wonder if the overeating brought on the brain fog - as "pepito6" suggested earlier.  It seems like this is the same feeling I get after eating Thanksgiving dinner.  I also suffer from anemia so I wonder if that is also impacting my symptoms of the after meal brain fog.
Overeating can do that, but you could have food allergies or sensitivities, too.  Seriously, a lot of people in my circle have the same issue particularly if they eat anything with gluten in it.  The biggest contributor to gluten is exactly the kinds of foods you just ate.  Wheat is the one that contains the most gluten and it's such a pervasive part of the Western diet.  Do an elimination diet/food challenge.  See a naturopath if you don't know how.  It takes a while to do it.  In the meantime:  definitely steer clear of gluten:  wheat, barley, oats, spelt, triticale (not well known hybrid of wheat and oats that is usually rolled and eaten like oats).

Corn is another big one to stay away from, even though it's not a gluten grain.  It's still a majorly messed up GMO grain.  Soy is usually GMO, too, so stay away from that stuff, too.  Stay away from all forms of "white" potatoes.  These are all the ones you think of that are not the yams or sweet potatoes.  These are optional if you are only avoiding gluten, but they are still strongly advised.

Seriously--avoid the gluten stuff totally for an extended period of time.  There are gluten free grains that you can have instead:  rice, quinoa, millet, amaranth, wild rice, buckwheat (not a form of wheat at all).  These are all safe for celiacs, too.  Food allergies and sensitivities do cause brain fog and other damage, too.  Food sensitivities can't necessarily be tested and verified by blood tests, so forget that part.  If it's a true allergy, it can be verified by blood test.  I suspect it's food sensitivities and food sensitivities can still wreak havoc on your life:

http://www.whfoods.com/genpage.php?tname=faq&dbid=30#age
I had similiar issues and tested positive for celiac thru the fecal anitibody analysis with entrolab. I also did the myceliac.com genetic screening and tested positive with a DQ2 and DQ8 gene (indicates an increased chance of developing celiac (this test gives you your chances, it does not detect celiac)

For those who has tested negative for celiac - this can happen and you still might be celiac!!! It happens all the time!

Further you may not be celiac but you may be suffering from GLUTEN INTOLERANCE. Some doctors think up to 20% of the population has it. The symptoms are simliar, the remedy - a gluten free diet.

So... STOP EATING GLUTEN! While this may take some adjusting, if you adhere to it the eating plan the spacey feeling - goes away. What a relief. I had it constantly for four years. It felt like I was drugged.

You may also be anemic if you are experiencing any type of anxiety, panicy feelings. A doctor can test you for this. If you are a woman and still having periods it is quite common for iron stores to be low. If you are celiac, and have been some time, you have suffered from malabsorption of the nutrients in your food - which includes iron.

I removed gluten from my diet. Good bye spacey feelings. I take a liquid iron supplement (IronSmart) - make sure the iron supplement is gluten free!!!. Good bye anxiety type feelings.

I also personally chose a whole foods, plant based diet - (vegan). It has also made a world of difference energy wise.

Many celiacs, or gluten intolerants find they have issues with dairy products as well, so eliminating dairy may help.

If you want to access a world of knowledge on gluten free living visit celiac.com - you will hear many stories just like your own, meet tons of people that tested negative repeatedly and suffered for years, sometimes decades.
This website also has list of common items and whether they have gluten in them or not. For example most soy sauces have wheat in them. Some don't - they are usually called Tamari or wheat free soy sauce. CHECK THE LABELS and CALL THE MANUFACTURER if you are not sure. Celiac's have the motto -- if in doubt (whether something contains gluten) go without.

This website can also direct you to many helpful books you can take out of the library, or buy, to help you with your gluten free life.

When you go off the gluten you will experience a gluten withdrawal - mild headaches (maybe) or an increase in your symptoms. Stick with it. Some find these go away within a few days, other a few weeks. It took about a month with me, with the symptoms getting weaker and weaker as the month went on. The major thing I experienced was very bad sinus pain (I got a neti pot, which helped)

If I eat gluten now (without knowing it) I will feel the old spacey feelings for about five days, though they are less than in the past. Just a reminder for me to check what I am eating...

Gluten hides everywhere, especially in vitamins. Check the label and only get those that are specifically GLUTEN FREE! That is why the whole foods plant based lifestyle works - no processed foods means you know exactly what you are eating.

Be well, and healthy,

JP
I fully understand. I've gone through the whole gambit of medical crap before I discovered doctors are fools."Let food be thy medicine and medicine be thy food," Hippocrates. Most modern doctors have no education in food. And only highly specialized food Chemists know about modern food.
There are a whole complex of symptoms which can occur to people sensitive to "food additives". Of course monosodium glutamate “M.S.G” is the biggest offender. The food industry getting wise to peoples avoidance of MSG,  changed the game they dropped the monosodium and kept the glutamate as  “Processed Free Glutamic Acid”. What is it? It is an "Excitotoxin" which is a class of substances that damage neurons through paroxysmal overactivity. They are toxins that bind to certain receptors and may cause neuronal cell death. The best known excitotoxins are the excitatory amino acids, that can produce lesions in the cNS similar to those of Huntingdon's chorea or alzheimers disease. Excitotoxicity is thought to contribute to neuronal cell death associated with stroke.
My recommendation is to avoid all process foods, and all food with additives. Organic food is no protection, the term organic is not regulated, and you can find Processed Free Glutamic Acid (MSG) in their processed organic foods. The only defense against M.S.G & P.F.G.A, is total avoidance, barring that vitamin B6 helps protect.
This website might help you.
http://fooddemocracy.wordpress.com/2008/02/12/hidden-sources-of-manufactured-process-free-msg-glutamic-acid/
Hope this helps, Scott Dykstra
I didn't read all the replies, but I agree with everybody who suggested Celiac disease/food allergies.  
I am 34 years old. I starting noticing recently that certain meals would send me off into bad cramps, gas and sometimes almost feeling feverish or drunk afterwords. I am in the medical profession and I must say, if I am honest with myself, it began with  constant sinus infections in my 20's.. Sinus infections and yeast infections that I attributed to stress and the diet of a student..( if you think about it, sinus cavities are mucus membranes so could you not have a yeast infection in your sinuses??) Then sleepless nights, muscle pain, depression due to lack of sleep.. Ect. Ect.. When the severe gas, stomach pain, in conjunction with the above began happening, I realized I had to really take a look at heath. I was athletic, mild drinker, non smoking and in a good job.. But when I REALLY started looking at things. I had to make some changes. Despite having a good job, I noticed I was running around taking care of others health when I was scarfing down my lunch, barely having a moment to breathe. Then I would come home and pack in as much as I could and do it all over again. First Step, I took  beginner's yoga class  one day a week to actually "stop and breathe and focus on me! The second step.. My diet.. It was actually a lot better than family and friends but there were things that I began to notice..That cup of coffee my my stomach feel "raw", cheese actually made me flemmie and my nose run ( allergy), almonds made me feel feverish( allergy), Eating out, with high fat would give me cramps, gas, and sometimes the runs.. Step  three.. I started cutting out processed, high fat foods, and realized I did best with an Alkaline diet.. I wouldn't say I follow it to a T, but it has made a huge difference. Step 4 I take acidophilus with meals, if I fall off the "healthy eating wagon" and experience gut pain.. I take acidophilus with an enzyme pill.. Make sure to take a multi vitamin and for myself I rotate between Omega3,6,9, B vitamins, Vitamin D, Vita min E, Calcium and Vitamins for joints.. Step 5.  Instead of coffee, I started drinking green tea. I noted I was drinking coffee out of addiction and ignoring my gut pain..Feeling like crap but had to have the fix..Was it really worth it?  Once in awhile I will treat myself but I am very aware of how often. Step 6 ...Booze!! Casual drinks would make my sinuses in an uproar and yet I would go for a drink to socialize anyways! i would come home, go to bed and feel like one side of my face got blown off with a shot gun.. I would take nasal sprays and Advil just to sleep. I stopped drinking for 2 months.. It was hard.  I knew the candida was having a hay day with the booze in my already "unhealthy state".. Step 6.. Take a look at your life.. Are all those material things really worth it if you died tomorrow? If you were on your deathbed are you going to really think " Man, I should have worked longer hours, that laundry should have been done? Ect? Ect?It's quality of life, not quantity. Spending time with family and friends, being greatful, not holding onto things that happened in the past or worrying about the future..Spending time talking to people, not about people..These  things are so important!!

High blood sugar, IBD, Gluten, LGS.. Ect.. These are all very serious conditions.. Sometimes being confirmed an exact diagnosis is a temporary relief.. But if the drugs don't work and one still cannot pin point ones condition take a very good look at what changes you really need to make  to have a healthy, happy life..  You have only got one!
I had trouble digesting carbs and had almost all the symptoms mentioned....including the extreme sleepiness after eating. The culprit in my case was an underactive thyroid and sluggish adrenal glands. Don't allow your doctors to just treat symptoms. Insist they get to the root cause of the symptoms! Most GPs aren't well-read on current TSH ranges....but do your homework on current research and you'll find that a TSH should be 2.0 and under for optimal health.

Charlie
Has anyone in this community investigated whether they have Lyme disease?  Lyme can cause symptoms that are very similar to the ones reported here.
Have you been tested for gilberts disease or sickle cell? Might want to look into those.
I have been suffering the same simptoms. Sadly it is difficult to me to trust some people in the forums which are actually internet marketers. Have any of you REALLY have diagnosed as celiac? I have tried everything, I just eat vegetables and meat, chicken and fish, no oils, onion, tomato, spicy, alcohol, smoking, etc. Still feel drunk after eating. I thing I have gastritis. I have a severe case of GERD as well. Any help appreciated.
Does anybody have any idea on what causes this?  I have done lots of tests and they can't find anything.  I have tested for Celiac blood test and it came back negative.  They did scopes and nothing was wrong with the villi.  I also don't have blood in the stool so it seems kinda doubtful if it is Chrohn's.  

I get brain fog sometimes...and other times it's like a mild head ache at the back of my head....I know it's related to my gut.  When I get a flare-up my stomach will be uncomfortable, loss of appetite, sometimes with bloating and nausea/malaise, stools look weird.  I have lost quite a bit of weight as well for no apparent reason.

I'm thinking maybe it is related to the small intestine.  But I don't know what tests would be able to go there to find it.

I have sort of been able to control it with diet.  Just keep a diary to figure out what doesn't sit well with you and stop eating it.

My hunch is that it is some kind of infection or imbalance in the gut flora.  
Breakaway, try supplementing with probiotics and see if it's of help. There are many good brands on the market these days, so it's worth a try.

In addition, try a gluten-free diet. I know your tests came back negative, but in some they do - even the 'gold standard' the EGD biopsy. In many they may not show up with full-blown symptoms until they're older. My husband was one of them. Give it a try for several weeks and see what happens.
A really good source for gluten free supplements is swansonvitamins.com.  The majority of their supplements are gluten free, but they also have a section of products that they list as gluten free.  They even sell a few foods, herbs and spices--a lot of which are specialty items, though many are not.
I have brain fog after months I was taking Levaquin. That other thousands of peple sick after fluoroquinilone see our group http://www.facebook.com/groups/46690244194/
Did you ever take Cipro, Levaquin, Avelox ect

Please read this following website. A women who explains leaky gut in a nut shell. It is NOT a quick fix.
Ubbe

www.LeakyGutCure.com
I'm not sure about all your symptoms but the brain fog defiantly sounds like candida overgrowth.The other things sound like candida overgrowth symptoms too.Some of the symptoms sound more severe but Candida overgrowth can lead to severe health problems. Look it up and see if maybe it's your problem. I would  be great for your health to go on a candida diet even if you didn't have candida overgrowth.
what is the most accurate test for candida
Hi...
these symptoms sound exactly like the old me.
Please try looking down the histamine intolerance and fructose malabsorption route (obviously after ruling out anything major). After years of trial and error i have figured that these are my 'triggers'. If I reduce these then i'm a healthy happy chappy!

P.S. All this chat about Candida is nonsense. Trust me i've been there! don't do it to yourself.
I might try this -- can you share the kinds of results you've experienced with that diet?
Im 26 I have the same symptoms, after eating acai berries, covered in chocolate with 2 charcoal pills, thought I was dying. (aneurism (aneurysm) or stroke feeling)   happened before too with other food.

I tried a couple of things which one was temporary and other worked out great.

1. Apple cider vinegar(two table spoons when symptoms occur with water) temporary but a relief
It doesn't make sense (acid vs acid) but it worked for the moment.

2. I Cut down on smoking ciggeretes and started taking colloidal silver as a supplement it works great, at first I was kinda like drink metal?I'm desperate but not dumb, then I used common sense we take vitamins or minerals that has  metal properties in it, did some research then gave it a test run on a few external parts, built up courage then drank it and no more pressure in my head, chest didn't feel like caving in or hurting, and my throat was good stomach was good and im glad it worked, felt like I was going crazy with these symptoms,(schizophrenia) barely sleeping waking up after an hour of sleep ect...but it was just a chemical imbalance from Acid Reflux I guess. I have a machine now, saving dough so I could eat it ;)

Hope this helps

Agreed, this sounds a lot like Lyme. Most doctors don't think to check for it.
I'm on pantropozole/protonix and it really helps my GERD and also probiotic pills and kefir.  I've had brain fog for years from GI disease or sleep apnea.  I have low calcium and vitamin D and need to be tested for celiac disease
Brain fog, drowsiness, headache... every time I eat something with onion. EVERYTHING has onion or onion powder in it. Even certain mayonnaise.
Hi, I had brain fog for over 8 years. I was cured 6 months ago. During these years, I also went through the symptoms described by you. I am neither a nurse nor a doctor. I speak from my experience about how it started and ended.

During these 8 years, my digestive system declined and suffered serious stomach pain. If I ate carbohydrate food such as rice, noodle and sweets, my brain fog got worst. If I ate only meat and vegetables, the brain fog did not get worst but it never went away. I also suffered dizziness and lost balance when I walked on the stairs with moderate circulated motion. I tried all sort of supplements but nothing help to remove the brain fog.

I had no clue what went wrong with me until over 6 months ago I visited a new dentist. He took a comprehensive x-rays around my mouth and near the bottom nose. He found out I have a serious infection. Per x-rays, the nerves between the upper root canal and my nose were dead. The infection is affecting in the bone and the rest of the surrounded nerves. He removed the infected nerve and cleaned up my root canal. After the treatment and 2 weeks of antibiotics intake, all of the sudden, my brain fog went away.

I recall I started having brain fog and blowing gas 8 years ago after I moved to a cubical where the air was contaminated. I started to cough and having itchy eye for a very long time. I also had Lasik surgery during that period. From time to time, roaches blew down from the air vent above my cubical onto my desk. If I left the coffee in a cup over night, in next day the mold (greenish and blackish) started to grow on the top of the coffee.

I left that company 3 years later but the brain fog carried with me to the next journey. I took all sorts of supplements but nothing worked to reduce the brain fog. Brain fog to me is a sign of inflammation. If we can locate it, we are a step closer to the recovery but finding the root cause is hard especially when it is not obvious or mistaken the symptom for a common allergy. My old dentist did not find my problem. My family physician suggested nothing when I mentioned to him about my brain fog. I requested for a MRI and found nothing. My eyeballs movement somehow restricted from rolling around. I went to see the eye doctor and found nothing. I took all sorts of blood tests from different clinics and came back clean.

After my brain fog went away, I am no longer suffering from depression, agitation, frustration, stomach pain, insecurity and etc. I do not know the connection about the stomach pain and the brain fog. It could be a coincident or indirectly related via our nerve systems or the black mold made it into my system via food/coffee/water or lesion (facial shaving or pulling nose hair instead of cutting it).

I felt that my frontal lobe maybe affected by the infection because it lasted so long. I am taking lots of fish oil to rebuild my frontal-lobe via DHA intake but I am afraid the damage resides within the nerve systems.

It is a good idea to be checked by dental/nasal/infectious specialists as early as possible. Good luck and I wish you�ll recover.

p.s. I felt like I am getting a 2nd chance. My sickness served a purpose. I realized a lot during the past couple of years. I want to do good deeds; to become compassion, unselfish, and a caring person. Be kind to people, be sensible, and help the helpless and the poor. God has a mysterious way to teach us.
I have what seems to be brain fog , it's like I feel high all the time . I wondered about candida also my endocrine system . I have had this going on two years or more. I forget and get confused  and sometimes cannot talk correctly. When this all started I was having the sweats , shaking , my body would jerk like small seizures , headaches , dizziness , being off balance . I don't drive on the street because of this and feel quite nervous to be out in public , this is just not me because I enjoyed getting out . To not make this to long , two things I have noticed to make a difference , staying away from refined sugars which is very hard in itself and night shades , in my case huckleberry yogurt which seems to bring bad inflammation to all my joints and lower back. I still have this and have gone to a couple doctors to no avail ..... I hope this brings some light ....... Danny Mc