Gastroenterology Community
Ejection Fraction of 36%

This forum is for questions regarding Gastroenterology issues such as Acid Reflux (GERD), Barretts Esophagus, Colitis, Colon/Bowel Disorders, Crohn's Disease, Diverticulitis/ Diverticulosis, Digestive Disorders and Stomach Pain.

Ejection Fraction of 36%

I had a HIDA scan yesterday.  The results came back that I had a 36% gallbladder ejection fraction.  It says it is in the low end of functioning.  When I received the CCK IV the syptoms (symptoms) that I have had for the last 1 1/2 months recurred briefly.  Since the scan yesterday I have been in the same continuous dull pain in my upper right quadrant.  I have been taking Nexium for 2 1/2 weeks now and it helps marginally.  They ruled out ulcers with the scope down my throat.  But the stomach did appear very red and irritated with some bile present.
Kimby, if you haven't already done so, you may want to start a low fat diet to see if that helps. In addition, if you're taking any form of hormones rethink that decision. They can and do effect the functioning of the GB.

If you've got bile reflux, ask the doc to try some carafate instead of the nexium to see if that will help if the irritation is due to bile and not acid. Nexium isn't going to do a darned thing for bile. They should have been able to tell from the pattern of the irritation whether or not bile was the culprit or acid was the culprit.

36% may be considered on the low end, but it's by no means considered truly dysfunctional.
Thanks for the information.  I haven't taken any form of hormones in over a year.  I was on birth control but due to the family history of blood clots, I chose to discontinue those.  Yes, the nexium does not seem to be doing much.  It does cut down on the nausea to a certain extent though.  I met with the surgeon last week.  He is going to go ahead and remove my GB tomorrow.  From everything I have read the GB doesn't seem to get better over time and heal itself.  It only worsens over time.  I have had a scope, my liver checked, checked for HPylori and a CT.  They all revealed nothing.  I have no stones in my GB.  But the HIDA scan did say I have a Chronic history of GB inflammation.  I have had problems with nausea, etc. for several years.  I always assumed I had a weak stomach or the onset of an ulcer.  Now I am thinking this has been progressively getting worse for years.
Hi Kimby, I'm very new to this forum, but I would like to point out something that might help. When I get the gallstones pain at the liver area, I have taken chanca piedra and it has taken away the pain in just a couple of minutes. It is supposed to disolve renal and billiary stones, which I'm not completely sure if it really works, but at least for the pain it does !