Endoscopy and Treatment Before testing
Hi all.

I'm just very curious about this.  I had an appointment with a gastro because I'm having twinges on the rib area and think it's due to anti-inflammatories.  I've been on Nexium for years, so the GERD is really under control.  Immediately I was set up for an endoscopy which is fine, but not what I really wanted.  I guess I just wanted to test a drug like Carafate first, for relief, then get the endoscopy if needed.  I understand the gastros look for ulcers and cancer, etc.  when doing an endoscopy.  Yet I also know there isn't much out there in the way of treating hiatial hernia except for Nexium and that type of drug, and wonder are these tests really necessary before trying to treat thru medicines?  I'd say, knowing my own body, that trying a med is better than a scope first.  Any opinions or personal experiences with this?
Medications are given to alleviate symptoms, in your case for GERD.  But Nexium is not for long term use. Anti-inflamatories also have side effects that can be detrimental if taken for long periods of time.  Since you have taken it for years, and continue to have discomfort over your rib area, your doctor has an obligation to you to try and diagnose the cause.  Medications can mask the problem without actually treating it. He is probably looking for the problem so that he can treat it accordingly.  An EGD endoscopy can reveal many things to him. Good luck.  
Thanks for the information, and all is so true.  I know doctors really want what's best for patients and have an obligation to run tests.  I guess I just wasn't that impressed with this doctor who barely touched my tummy, and didn't even feel around my ribs, which ache like the devil.  He's ok all in all and will do the scope just to check things out.  Thanks also for the information on Nexium, no one told me it couldn't be taken long term, that was interesting for sure!