Gastroenterology Community
Enlarged Spleen with normal CBC
About This Community:

This forum is for questions regarding Gastroenterology issues such as Acid Reflux (GERD), Barretts Esophagus, Colitis, Colon/Bowel Disorders, Crohn's Disease, Diverticulitis/ Diverticulosis, Digestive Disorders and Stomach Pain.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Enlarged Spleen with normal CBC

About a month ago, I started feeling incredibly run down. I thought I was getting the flu. After two days off work sleeping, I felt a little better. Then, about three weeks ago I started getting incredibly fatigued at the littlest of tasks. I saw my Dr and she said that my spleen was swollen. She did a pregnancy test ( negative ) a Mononucleosis test ( negative ) and a liver enzyme test ( normal ). I am still feeling fatigued, but dont know what the cause could be that my CBC came back normal, yet my spleen is enlarged as well as a negative on all possible culprits. Any suggestions? I dont have health insurance so each of these tests is costing me out of pocket. I am trying to eliminate the least likely of candidates to test for the most likely for cost efficiency.
Related Discussions
2 Comments Post a Comment
Blank
They've ruled out all these?

What causes it?
A number of infections and diseases can contribute to an enlarged spleen, including:

Viral infections, such as mononucleosis
Bacterial infections, such as syphilis or an infection of your heart's inner lining (endocarditis)
Parasitic infections, such as malaria
Cirrhosis and other diseases affecting the liver
Various types of hemolytic anemia — a condition characterized by premature destruction of red blood cells
Blood cancers, such as leukemia and Hodgkin's disease
Metabolic disorders, such as Gaucher's disease and Niemann-Pick disease
Pressure on the veins in the spleen or liver or a blood clot in these veins
Mononucleosis,Syphilis,Endocarditis,Malaria,Cirrhosis,Leukemia,Hodgkin's lymphoma (Hodgkin's disease)Gaucher's disease.

Blank
This rather does sound like Niemann-Pick disease, but it is very rare and does not really occur in adults. It usually begins before the child is even born! Sadly, they don't usually make it into teen years. My cousin has this (8 years old) and she is dying. But they may need to do some blood tests to make sure no autoimmunity or cancers are going on. If your spleen does not retreat to normality, I think you should start to be concerned.
Blank
Post a Comment
To
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
Gastroenterology Community Resources
RSS Expert Activity
242532_tn?1269553979
Blank
The 3 Essentials to Ending Emotiona...