Gastroenterology Community
Eosinophilic Esophagitis

This forum is for questions regarding Gastroenterology issues such as Acid Reflux (GERD), Barretts Esophagus, Colitis, Colon/Bowel Disorders, Crohn's Disease, Diverticulitis/ Diverticulosis, Digestive Disorders and Stomach Pain.

Eosinophilic Esophagitis

Recently, my husband and I were told that my 3 1/2 year old son, most likely has Eosinophilic Esophagitis. The diagnosis was made by his ENT and GI Specialists at the children's hospital, based on an endoscopy done by his ENT, who has been seeing my son for laryngomalacia for nearly 3 years. After my son's last (third) operation, the ENT stated his airway was clear but he found white "lumps" in his esophagus and took biopsies of it. The results showed 45-50 eosinophils per HPF. I've been confused with this new prognosis since I've never noticed my son dealing with any of the symptoms that those with EE have.
However, he has had the normal and occasional diarrhea and vomiting, which I attribute to the flu; failure to "thrive" (his height is in the 3rd percentile); stridor (laryngomalacia); and cyanosis "blue spells" (cause is still unknown to his ENT and my son has had neurological testing with normal results, but the spells occur when he's really angry and crying).
These past 2 days, I've taken him to an allergist, who tested him for 40+ food allergies, and to the radiologist for an upper GI. Both came back normal. Maybe it's environmental which I doubt, and I know it's not prescriptions/medications since he hasn't taken anything. The GI Specialist wants him on fluticasone and prevacid, which I have not yet filled and the EE Specialist at the children's hospital is booked until August. I've been trying to find an answer or other possibilites to what his prognosis could be instead of EE, but to no avail. Any suggestions or ideas on what it is and/or what's causing the eosinophils?
I appreciate your help.
Have a Gastro question?
100,000+ doctor answers