Gastroenterology Community
Eosinophilic esophagitis and liver enzymes

This forum is for questions regarding Gastroenterology issues such as Acid Reflux (GERD), Barretts Esophagus, Colitis, Colon/Bowel Disorders, Crohn's Disease, Diverticulitis/ Diverticulosis, Digestive Disorders and Stomach Pain.

Approximately two years ago I got blood work done that showed elevated liver enzymes. I was tested for Hep B and C, ultrasound, CT scan with and without contrast...everything was normal. I continued to have high AST/ALT/alkaline phosphatase for the next year and a half so I went to a liver specialist who ordered a biopsy. Highest AST was 118 ALT was 190 and alkaline phosphatase was 212. The biopsy also came back normal, but my enzyme levels were also normal that morning. I continued to have my blood drawn monthly, and noticed that when I ate before the blood draw, my levels were elevated, and if I did not eat, they were normal. In June of this year, I got a stabbing pain in my right side and since then have had constant pain in my right upper quadrant and my back on the right side, which gets worse after eating. The two times gGTP was tested it was elevated (116 and 154) regardless of whether or not I had eaten. The hepatologist referred me to another GI doctor who listened to my symptoms and was convinced it was my gallbladder. After another ultrasound and a HIDA scan with CCK both came back normal, he ordered an endoscopy. A few days later, he diagnosed me with eosinophilic esophagitis and prescribed Singulair and said it was the cause of all my problems.

First, I do not understand how they can say that an esophageal disease is causing back pain and abdominal pain, let alone elevated liver enzymes. Also, I have a history of allergic rhinitis and was on Allegra when this all started, and switched to allergy shots around the beginning of the year. If it really is an allergic disease, how is Singulair going to help when other allergy treatments have not? I have looked at information on EE and I have only found a few sites that recommend Singulair as a treatment. I would much rather know what I am supposedly allergic to and avoid it instead of just popping a pill that may or may not work.

I hate to say it, but I feel like I am being brushed off. The pain has not subsided and I have yet to have a sore throat or any symptoms of EE other than occasional nausea and difficulty swallowing. Is there anything that you're aware of that may explain my symptoms, or another treatment for EE that I should ask about? I am tired of feeling sick and in pain all the time.

Thank you.
Arc, you're right. You do need to find out what you're allergic to. The meds aren't going to make much of a difference if you don't knock down the eosinophilic response. Try going to http://www.apfed.org/ee.htm and reading about the problem and what you should do to get to the cause.