Gastroenterology Community
Esophageal Spasm & Exercise

This forum is for questions regarding Gastroenterology issues such as Acid Reflux (GERD), Barretts Esophagus, Colitis, Colon/Bowel Disorders, Crohn's Disease, Diverticulitis/ Diverticulosis, Digestive Disorders and Stomach Pain.

Esophageal Spasm & Exercise

I believe I have come to accept that I cannot get medical intervention for my esophageal spasms.  My cardiologist says my heart is perfect.  I have slight acid reflux, a hiatus hernia and 90% esophageal motility.  I have what I call "Bubbles and Ka-thunks" in my chest.  The bubbles are little butterfly-like spasms in my chest that are annoying but not painful.  The Ka-thunks are a little more brutal.  They actually cause stops in my heart that are not quite painful but make me severely dizzy and winded. But when they ARE painful....oh Sweet Jebus... I generally get them when I've had too much caffeine, constipation (I have IBS), physical exertion, higher than normal stress, or laugh too much.  Basically, as long as I don't stay still too long, move too much, don't enjoy dinner parties, and don't partake in normal everyday living, I'm fine.  Well....except for those times my chest just randomly decides to freak out when I've been careful and not done anything to trigger symptoms. *sigh. I have another appointment with the surgeon who is "discussing my case with some colleagues" tomorrow morning.  She cannot help surgically and I'm taking the maximum daily dosage of Dexilant for the my acid reflux.  I also have Barett's Esophagus.  I have to go for an annual endoscope to make sure it hasn't turned into cancer.  Basically, I'm in hurry up and wait mode to see if I get a terminal form of cancer before anyone is physically able to help me.  Yay me!  As you can see, while I've come to accept my situation, I'm not happy about it.  I have gone to a Natureupath, Cardiologist, Dietician, Allergist, Gastroenterologist, Gastroenterology Surgeon x 2, a massage therapist, Chiropractor and my family doctor.  I have spent a fortune and countless hours I will never get back.  All of this has led me to the conclusion that I have to take my pain and symptom management into my own hands.  I know my food triggers and have to stop being afraid to exercise.  I have gained 40 pounds over the last 1.5 years due to fear of having a heart attack.  The way I see it is, exercise helps me relax and enables me to lose weight.  I have to do something to make me happy again.  My life is in my hands and no one else can help me.  Well, I say that, but realistically, this message board has helped me see that I am not alone and that we are all suffering the same fate together.  Everything in moderation. I have to start somewhere, so treadmill and Goodness Me here I come!  Thanks Everyone!
Has your cardiologist recommended a heart monitor? If not, I would ask to have this done. It sounds like you may have mitral valve prolapse. Not sure if I spelled mitral right. MVP for short. My daughter has this and your symptoms sounds so similar. It sounds like you've already had a lot of testing but I really recommend you ask about wearing the monitor. It will keep track of what your heart is doing for 24 hours. Showing if there are skipped beats and such. MVP can be very painful when you have an attack. It does have to do with the valve not closing properly and many times it can be treated with meds. I recommend you stay away from caffeine until you find out for sure what's going on. When my daughter has caffeine, which her Dr told her not to have, she gets the stabbing chest pain, dizziness and skipped heart beats
Hi...thanks for your response :).  I had the 24 hr Holter Monitor (not sure if I spelled that right).  Everything came back healthy and well.  I had an ECG, CT Scan, ultrasound, MRI, stress test....I think I got them all....it really is my esophagus being nasty.  They have even done 2 tests on my lungs just in case.  I've been told I can take a Calcium blocker something or other to reduce the number of spasms, but it will cause damage to my heart and increase by BP.  I've said no for now.  If it gets worse I guess I'll have to do something.  For now...take everything 1 day at a time.
Since you've had the monitor and everything came back fine then you do not have MVP. Surely it would have shown up in 24 hours as skipped heart beats.
My sister has the spasms in esophagus and she takes a med called Bentyl to help with them. I wonder if this would help you? It must be so frustrating not having an answer and nothing to help so far. Ask your Dr about if Bentyl might help. Hopefully I spelled it right.