Gastroenterology Community
Esophageal Spasms - How do you stop them?

Ask questions on Gastroenterology issues: Acid Reflux (GERD), Barretts Esophagus, Colitis, Colon/Bowel Disorders, Crohn's Disease, Diverticulitis/ Diverticulosis, Digestive Disorders and Stomach Pain.

I had a flareup of my GERD after taking a course of antibiotics for medical reasons unrelated to my stomach.  It has resulted in my having severe chest and stomach pain.  I went to the doctor, who checked out my heart and lungs and said they are OK.  She diagnosed me as having esophageal spasms and gave me a prescription for Flexeril.  I have used the Flexeril for about four nights.  On the first night, it worked great the whole night, the next for part of the night, then for a couple of hours.  Last night, I don't think it helped at all.  I dread going to bed and tossing and turning in pain again tonight.

I'm asking if anyone who has/had this terrible disease(??) could help me out, as to how to be rid of this!  I'd appreciate any suggestions.  I don't have health insurance and am disabled, so I can't afford a bunch of expensive tests.  The lack of sleep is really disrupting my life.

I'd really appreciate it if someone would respond.  Thank you.
Sue, you're going to have to get your stomach under control to try to control the spasms, and the problem is there is no definitive way to try to bring them under control. I'm not sure about the cost of the Flexeril, but if it doesn't work, you might ask her if you could try nitroglycerin. In many in can diminish the spasms, but it's not going to abolish them. I believe the nitro may be less expensive than the flexeril.