Gastroenterology Community
Ex-bulimic, hard distended stomach, gas

This forum is for questions regarding Gastroenterology issues such as Acid Reflux (GERD), Barretts Esophagus, Colitis, Colon/Bowel Disorders, Crohn's Disease, Diverticulitis/ Diverticulosis, Digestive Disorders and Stomach Pain.

Ex-bulimic, hard distended stomach, gas

I am a 24 year old female and an ex-bulimic (was bulimic for about 1.5 years).  I am in recovery now and have not been bulimic for about 6 months now, although I have had a new problem of binge eating.  For months now I have been binge eating and now am slowly stopping but lately my stomach has been extremely distended and hard and I have been very gassy (passing gas and burping) and there is a constant rumbling in my abdomen and I can feel the air moving around.  I have had occasional heartburn.  I have also noticed a bit of acid reflux - a feeling of food coming up in my throat when I belch.  In addition to all of this, I have had constipation mixed with diarrhea and stools of different forms (pencil thin, flat, normal, etc.).  I have been to several doctors and they don't seem very interested in helping me.  They would not refer me to a gastroenterologist and have just ordered an abdominal ultrasounds which I have to have.  I am concerned because I am leaving in a month to begin a new career in Japan and none of the doctors I have seen are helping me.  I am currently taking Zantac (have been for 4 days) and haven't noticed any improvement (not sure how long it takes to work).  Gastritis and gallstones have been suggested but I don't think it is gallstones.  Could it be IBS?  I have had problems with that in the past.  Please help me, I am in great discomfort and am so frustrated with feeling bloated!!  Thanks :)