Gastroenterology Community
Excessive Gas and Flatulence after quitting smoking

This forum is for questions regarding Gastroenterology issues such as Acid Reflux (GERD), Barretts Esophagus, Colitis, Colon/Bowel Disorders, Crohn's Disease, Diverticulitis/ Diverticulosis, Digestive Disorders and Stomach Pain.

I have been a smoker for over 30 years and quit 4 months ago.  A few weeks after I quit, I started experiencing a physical anomaly that is at best uncomfortable and at worse embarrassing and painful.  It started after eating a large salad at a buffet restaurant that we frequent.  Within minutes of eating, I became bloated and experienced pain and flatulence.  I was able to relieve the symptoms by taking a 3+ mile walk.  From that time, I started eating beano before each meal and swallowing phazyme after each meal.  The problem progressed to a point this week where I finally started smoking cigarettes again yesterday to try to get my digestive system back in order.

When I smoke, I almost immediately start passing gas - both from flatulence and belching.  I'm trying to figure out what I can do to permanently quit smoking and not experience the gastric issues.  When I quit, I didn't change anything else.  Once the problem starts, it just continues to get worse until I resume smoking.  I'm looking for a better answer.
You didn't really say what quitting smoking did to your anxiety level or what other maladies you might have now or in the past (such as diabetes, gall stones, etc...) that could put two and two together.

Just a WAG here, but perhaps quitting smoking made you anxious and created a cause and affect situation.  Smoking does play a role in how your body functions and its affect on blood vessels, even psychological addiction.

A salad contains a lot of raw vegetables (a good one does anyway) and raw vegetables do cause gas if your intestines are inflamed.  And if quitting smoking is causing you anxiety what's it going to affect first?  Those intestines that we hear so much about.  Along with their gassiness, spasms, bloating, diarrhea, etc....

Just a thought since I didn't have much to go on...  
Thank you.  That may play a part in it, I"ll admit. I quit using Auriculartherapy which seemed to completely prevent all the anxiety and such normally associated with quitting.  It was an amazing experience for me.  For the first time in many, many years, I was a non smoker.  Not a smoker who was quitting.  It simply wasn't who I was anymore.  I gave up my attachment to them and never looked back.  It really generated no stress for me.  (I consider it a miracle treatment as there was none of the usual crabbiness or anxiety normally associated with quitting)

My gallbladder was removed several years ago and I've never had issues with diabetes.  For the most part, I lean towards hypoglycemic.  

Since I've never had these issues in the past, I'm pretty inept at handling them.  What does one do to relieve inflammation in the intestines and colon?  

Just a note, everything (bowel movements, etc) else is seems to be working normally.

I'll also admit that it may be totally unrelated to smoking and I may have coincidentally contracted some other malady.  
Aricular therapy is intended to produce a "mind over matter" type inducement.  It works in some cases, not in others.  You were one of the fortunate ones.  

However, that does not preclude that your body still had to adjust to the sudden lack of nicotine; which does affect your body.

If you can quit smoking, and do so, it will improve your general health, but you will notice such issues as you have been until the rest of your body eliminates the need for the drug.  Nicotine "is" a drug.

When you exhibit the IBS symptoms, try to stick with a bland diet.  Just think about your "outter skin" and what you would do if it was inflamed...  Would you rake it with a comb?  Well, eating certain foods that create heat, or spicy foods that are hot will inflame it further, as will things that are acidic like caffeine or alcohol.

If it becomes too much of an issue, seek some advice from your doctor and perhaps he can give you some medications to take during the interim.

Good luck to you...

Just my thoughts...
I smoked for over 40yrs and am on my 9th month cigarette free. It has been horrible for me as far as the flatulence and gas, as well as constipation. I have added 25 pounds but don't feel like I changed my eating habits that much. I think since I am not as regular as I was before, the body has more time to grab extra things from the foods I eat, thus the extra weight.
I am so miserable that I am tempted to start smoking again just to get my digestive system going again. It seems to be pretty common with quitters but does anybody have a solution? I really don't want to start that nasty habit again.
I quit smoking in January and am having the same issues. Bloating and flatulence. It was horrible. I really wanted to start smoking again too, but I kept going. I started taking probiotics to get my intestinal tract back in order. It has helped a whole lot. I am lactose intolerant, so I have to take the pills. They are called culturelle. If you can do dairy, activia yogurt is good, but it takes a week or so to kick in. The culturelle only takes a couple of days. Also take fiber every day for the constipation. I take benefiber in my coffee every morning. Good Luck!
Little57, thank you very much. I tried the probiotics like you suggested and my system started getting back to normal in a few days! Im taking Lifeway Lowfat Kefir probiotic. It tastes good and is lactose free. Im also lactose intolerant. My system actually feels better now than before I quit! I was leaning towards going back to smoking again because I couldnt take the gas and bloating pains any more. Im soo glad I found your post. Anyone reading this should definately try probotics. It worked for me and thank you again Little57.
How much of Lifeway are you drinking a day and for long will this last?
I really don't want to get 'hooked' on another product as alternative to nicotine...this is horrible and embarrassing way to get healthy.

I was much more 'social' and 'relaxed' when I smoked...I am getting anxiety from gas or 'letting one go' during meetings and social occasions. Not to mention not being able to 'predict' gas from #2 bathroom visits.
Thanks.
I had the exact same problem..... The doctors put me on Dicyclomene to help with irritable bowel syndrom (syndrome).  aparently my smoking was a great anxiety reliever. But unfortunately I wound up getting to much into healthy granola's and stuff.  I'm only 33, have always eaten healthy and am very physically fit.. I wound up with a 6 day hospital stay for Diverticulitis.
I stopped just 7 days ago. I have been very surprised at the lack of cravings considering i was smoking on average 20/day. I have been irritable now and again with my children but the biggest problem is the same as most of you; GAS, BLOATING & CONSTIPATION. Its uncomfortable and the gas smells so awful its embarrassing! Went to docs today for constipation medications (lactulose and movicol) so Will see if those help. Just want to feel normal again and not have to endure the intestinal problems.
I stopped smoking 3 weeks ago. Didn't smoke much. Now have bloating, rancid flatulence and a cough like a machine gun ! What a nightmare. Can't sleep as getting hot flushes and start coughing when I wake up. Other comments have however reassured me that I am not unique and probably not in danger of an imminent demise. Hopefully I am over the worst bit. Will try probiotics for the gut and honey for the throat. Either that or nip down to the newsagent...................
I have attempted to quit smoking 6 times this year. The bloating and flatulence that is very embarrassing has led me back to nicotine each and every time.  The gas is not an issue once I resume my addiction to nicotine I could not even go to the gym yesterday!! .I think that our society underestimates nicotine addiction and the insidious slow withdrawal from this powerful drug.  Let us also remember the numerous chemicals that have been added into this that can possibly have a different effect on all. I ate a little soup today and still had issues immediately after eating.  I am otherwise healthy, I take no medications, I have had a lower GI upper GI and colonoscopy all unremarkable.  Its the nicotine and added chemicals!!
After smoking 1 pack a day on and off for about 30 years, I quit a month ago while having a terrible case of bronchitis  About 1 week ago I started having terrible flatulence, cramps and many loose stools. It starts about 4:00 A.M. and I am in the bathroom most of the morning so I'm thankful I'm retired.  I haven't changed my diet and I was already eating Activia yogurt several times a week.  My sister said her husband had the same experience and she believes it is the body's way of relieving itself of the toxins associated with the nicotine and chemicals in the cigarettes.  I have been doing some research on natural remedies such as fennel, ginger, etc. so I'm going to try those.
Sara  
Sara  
Hi Sara
Did you sister say how long her hunny suffered for?
I am in 4th month of not smoking and have generally found it quite easy not to smoke. I have been really careful with my diet and not replaced fags with food, but have gained about 18lbs and am suffering with the same IBS type symptoms you describe.

Did you manage to find any natural remedies?

I chewed tobacco for 20+ years. I quit about 3 months ago and I'm having the same problems a everyone else here, the gas is horrific,  it's bad when you can make yourself gag. Ive tried gasx, bento, peptobismo and yogurt nothing has worked. My anxiety level is still low. I just need to know how to get rid of this problem.
help, I'm in my fifth week of agony and haven't started smoking again.....My body rebelling?  This last few weeks has been down right agony and pain.  Advise anyone please=(