Gastroenterology Community
Exercise and Blood in Stool

Ask questions on Gastroenterology issues: Acid Reflux (GERD), Barretts Esophagus, Colitis, Colon/Bowel Disorders, Crohn's Disease, Diverticulitis/ Diverticulosis, Digestive Disorders and Stomach Pain.

Exercise and Blood in Stool

I am 34 and have just started an exercise regimen.  No sooner than I started exercising, I noticed that I had bright red blood in my stool.  I was worried and stopped exercising for a few days.  The blood went away.  I decided to get back out on the treadmill again, three days ago, and the bleeding occured again.  I didn't exercise for the last two days and it stopped.  I need to exercise, how else am I going to get off the extra 100 lbs I am carrying.  I eat right, but need to incorporate more fiber.  I just need suggestions as to how I can exercise without causing rectal bleeding.
Bright red blood means that it is coming from somewhere close to the anus.  Typically, that means hemorrhoids (also known as piles).  Piles are enlarged veins, and they get that way for a number of reasons - usually from constipation putting so much pressure down there.  They can exist both internally and externally.  Most people have them at some point in their lives and may never even be aware of their existence because they're inside.  Hemorrhoids can also rupture, and the amount of blood can be a little or enough to be very alarming - and messy.  

What kind of exercising are you doing aside from the treadmill?  If you're working with weights, that may be enough pressure right there to result in hemorrhoids and rupture.  Since you mention you have a great deal of weight to lose, please hold off on the exercising until to see your doctor about this problem.  You may even want to consider hiring a personal trainer for a few sessions to make sure you're using proper form while exercising and getting the most out of your workout time.  There's no point in exercising improperly and getting little to no benefit from it or even harming yourself.  Congratulations on taking the initiative to get yourself in shape too!