Gastroenterology Community
Experiencing Severe Side Effect- Please Help

This forum is for questions regarding Gastroenterology issues such as Acid Reflux (GERD), Barretts Esophagus, Colitis, Colon/Bowel Disorders, Crohn's Disease, Diverticulitis/ Diverticulosis, Digestive Disorders and Stomach Pain.

Hi, I have been taking penicillin for almost a week now for a tooth infection and i am having problems iwht infrequent urination (to the point where I am not urinating at all anymore hardly), also agitation, confusion, weakness, completely liquid diarrhea, flu-like symptoms such as lung congestion and headaches. None of this was happening before i started the penicillin, and I looked it up and it says if you have any of these symptoms to cal your doctor immediately but I do not have one. Should I stop? I am worried if I stop taking it that I will have problems with the infection in my sinuses and tooth, but if I don't stop I am worried that I could suffer kidney failure or something bad. Please help me.. this is getting bad! :(
You need to stop the medication immediately and called your doctor. You may be having a bad reaction to it, and if the bottle says to stop if you experience what you are, then by all means stop.  An infection in your tooth will not affect your kidneys , so this needs to be addressed ASAP!
If you don't have a doctor, how did you get the penicillin?  If you got it from your dentist, you definitely need to call NOW.  You do appear to be having a bad allergic reaction to it.  Stop taking it and take some benadryl for a day or two.  If the benadryl helps, then you know it's an allergy.  This reaction should be reported to any doctor you see in future so they don't prescribe it again.