Gastroenterology Community
Extreme Bloating

This forum is for questions regarding Gastroenterology issues such as Acid Reflux (GERD), Barretts Esophagus, Colitis, Colon/Bowel Disorders, Crohn's Disease, Diverticulitis/ Diverticulosis, Digestive Disorders and Stomach Pain.

Extreme Bloating

I have extreme bloating when eating foods.  4 separate GI drs say all I have is just IBS.  I have been tested for celiac, chrons, & any other type of internal disorder.  All have come back negative.  I cannot eat gluten, rice flour, High fructose corn syrup, most fruits, the list goes on...and just recently red meats!  I have dealt with this for 4 yrs.  The extreme bloating occurs within 5-10 mins of eating such foods & is so extreme I cannot breath.  My stomach looks like I am 9 months pregnant.  I have eliminated all of these foods from my diet including tea, soda, beer...etc.  My list of foods are getting smaller.  I am concerned that no Dr will find out what is wrong.  IBS may be part of my problem, but the said foods does not even reach the bowel in 5 mins.  All blood tests, colonoscopy, endoscope & a biopsy have been taken of my upper intestine.  What could this possibly be!! Help Please
This is definitely more than IBS and you're smart to keep looking for answers.  Have they mentioned Gastroparesis?  This is caused by your stomach muscles not working properly to move the food along.  Pay attention to fatty foods and see if it gets worse.  I learned the hard way that when your doctors don't know what is wrong, it's time to get a second or third opinion and I feel you truly need to do this.  I was a little confused as to how quickly your stomach is emptying, have they done a study on you to see how quickly the food moves through your intestine?
I'm sorry I see where you say "4 different GI's" have told you the same thing.  Are they from the same group of doctors?
Hi have you had weight gain? My stomach does the exact same thing as in I look nine months pregnant after I eat but also even when I don't eat it still does the same. Does this happen to you?
Yes Tina!!!  Even when I do not eat anything I get bloated!!!  I have no idea what is going on but there is something that Drs cannot figure out.  I have called my family physician to see if an abdominal CT scan will pin point anything.  I will let you know the results and if anyone at all has figured out what is going on.  Thank you for sharing!!  I feel like I am the only one that has this problem.  I have missed many days of work & have spent thousands of dollars with no results!!  We must keep trying to get an answer!!!
Yes we must I hate being asked when my baby is due when I am far from pregnant.
hi! im also in the same situation you were in.  I was recently diagnosed with Gastritis, IBS-C.  The bloating and belching never stops! Ive been into medications for a while but I quit. my belly is bulging and heavy.  I have never felt normal again ever since.
I have massive bloating. Very little belching.  CT scan on abdominal area scheduled for next week. Will let you know what they come up with.
How did you personally check out the gluten side of things? And what specific test was used to check for celiac?