Gastroenterology Community
Extreme itch after diarrea(diarrhea)/soft stools

This forum is for questions regarding Gastroenterology issues such as Acid Reflux (GERD), Barretts Esophagus, Colitis, Colon/Bowel Disorders, Crohn's Disease, Diverticulitis/ Diverticulosis, Digestive Disorders and Stomach Pain.

I have a real unusal problem that I've descibed to doctors several times but I'm not sure anyone understands what I'm describing or takes me serious enough but it continues to worry me. Sometimes after having diarrea (diarrhea) or what I'd call almost diarrea (diarrhea) (soft stool that takes a lot of wiping to clean up) I can feel an itching sensation around my anus. When I start to wipe the area with toilet paper the itch is relieved but I continue to apply pressure to the area and its almost hard to stop. I get this euphoric kind of relief to the itch that honestly feels as strong if not stronger than sexual climax. There's nothing sexual going on though, not physically or in my head. I'm just trying to describe the intensity of the sensation. I get goosebumps on my legs and arms, I clench my jaw, I feel some sinus pressure release, and actually feel a little lightheaded and dizzy. This ususally happens when I have "messy" bowel movements that require several wipes to clean up fully and is most strong when I first start to wipe. Sometimes there is a little bit of blood left on the toilet paper but I've been checked for hemoroids and have been told that the blood is simply from excessive wiping. I've also had a colonoscopy and came up with a clean report. What is happening when I'm doing this? Am I stimulating my prostrate gland maybe? Am I doing myself harm? I'm a 47 year old male and have had this going on for probably 15 years, with increased frequency over time. Thank you for any help that can offered.
What you are describing comes from two things.  First, hemorrhoids, which are swollen blood vessels from straining when you go, and those places become irritated and sometimes bleed.  They are at the end of the digestive tract, common in people, and take a while to heal up.  Second, when you have a loose movement that is not easily wiped away, the remaining particles annoy the area, causing your itching and discomfort.

The solutions are easy.  First, to treat hemorrhoids, that is what the ointment Preparation H is for.  You can use it when they flare up, it "shrinks" hemorrhoids, and thus they are become not as sensitive to bowel movements.  Second, keep some baby wipes handy, and after you use toilet paper, use some of those to really clear the area.  Also, use a toilet paper that has aloe in it, much easier on the rump.  Last, get some KY jelly, and after you shower, put that on a damp kleenex and dab it on.

The people most likely to get hemorroids (hemorrhoids) or have problems with the anal area are those who strain when they are constipated from time to time, who eat irregularly, eat too much processed or fatty foods, drink too much alcohol, are grossly overweight, don't get enough exercise, or sit for long periods of time.