Gastroenterology Community
Extreme pain right side under ribs, constipated, hot and cold sweats, s...

This forum is for questions regarding Gastroenterology issues such as Acid Reflux (GERD), Barretts Esophagus, Colitis, Colon/Bowel Disorders, Crohn's Disease, Diverticulitis/ Diverticulosis, Digestive Disorders and Stomach Pain.

Extreme pain right side under ribs, constipated, hot and cold sweats, shakes

For the past 10 days I have experienced excruciating pain.  It feels like it is in my back, just under the right side of my rib cage.  I have also been constipated the entire 10 days, passing only gas except with the help of a laxative.  I took a laxative on day 5 and produced only thin, black "tar" like stools.  Ibuprofen or aspirin will temporarily diminish the pain for about 2 hours at a time.  I also have hot sweats and cold sweats and shaking.  I have vomited about once a day.  Day 3 I began taking fiber pills (4 g per day) and eating more fiber filled foods.  I have also been eating healthfully since this began.  I've been applying a heating pad several times a day, to relieve the pain.

When the pain is at its worst, I am tempted to go to the ER - it's really that bad.  But, I don't want to go to the ER only to find I'm constipated.

Any help would be appreciated.  I've looked up my symptoms and there are a gazillion possibilities.  I don't have insurance and on unemployment, so I cannot afford a trip to the doctor if it's not warranted.

Should I see a doctor or is there another treatment I should try?

Thank you!
I'm sorry you're not feeling well :(  

My concern is about the black, tar like stools.  This could be a sign of bleeding in the GI tract and since you stated that you've been taking ibuprofen and/or aspirin, this could very well be the case - both can cause intestinal bleeding.

The other concern I have is your almost inability to have a bowel movement after using a laxative.  This could possible signal at least a partial blockage.

I'm no doctor and have no medical training, so I am definitely not attempting to diagnose you at all.  But if it were me, I would definitely seek medical attention promptly.  If you cannot afford an appointment with your regular physician, is it possible that they have a public health clinic where you live that you could go to?  If not and you can't see your regular physician, I would think this would warrant a trip to the ER - even if it is ONLY constipation, any constipation that lasts for 10 days should definitely be checked out - especially if there's no or little relief after the use of a laxative.

I hope you feel better soon and please keep us posted on how you're doing.
Have a Gastro question?
100,000+ doctor answers