Extreme pain right side under ribs, constipated, hot and cold sweats, shakes
For the past 10 days I have experienced excruciating pain.  It feels like it is in my back, just under the right side of my rib cage.  I have also been constipated the entire 10 days, passing only gas except with the help of a laxative.  I took a laxative on day 5 and produced only thin, black "tar" like stools.  Ibuprofen or aspirin will temporarily diminish the pain for about 2 hours at a time.  I also have hot sweats and cold sweats and shaking.  I have vomited about once a day.  Day 3 I began taking fiber pills (4 g per day) and eating more fiber filled foods.  I have also been eating healthfully since this began.  I've been applying a heating pad several times a day, to relieve the pain.

When the pain is at its worst, I am tempted to go to the ER - it's really that bad.  But, I don't want to go to the ER only to find I'm constipated.

Any help would be appreciated.  I've looked up my symptoms and there are a gazillion possibilities.  I don't have insurance and on unemployment, so I cannot afford a trip to the doctor if it's not warranted.

Should I see a doctor or is there another treatment I should try?

Thank you!
I'm sorry you're not feeling well :(  

My concern is about the black, tar like stools.  This could be a sign of bleeding in the GI tract and since you stated that you've been taking ibuprofen and/or aspirin, this could very well be the case - both can cause intestinal bleeding.

The other concern I have is your almost inability to have a bowel movement after using a laxative.  This could possible signal at least a partial blockage.

I'm no doctor and have no medical training, so I am definitely not attempting to diagnose you at all.  But if it were me, I would definitely seek medical attention promptly.  If you cannot afford an appointment with your regular physician, is it possible that they have a public health clinic where you live that you could go to?  If not and you can't see your regular physician, I would think this would warrant a trip to the ER - even if it is ONLY constipation, any constipation that lasts for 10 days should definitely be checked out - especially if there's no or little relief after the use of a laxative.

I hope you feel better soon and please keep us posted on how you're doing.