Gastroenterology Community
Extremely Sick After Gall Bladder Removal

This forum is for questions regarding Gastroenterology issues such as Acid Reflux (GERD), Barretts Esophagus, Colitis, Colon/Bowel Disorders, Crohn's Disease, Diverticulitis/ Diverticulosis, Digestive Disorders and Stomach Pain.

I am a 43-year old female who has had IBS, GERD's, a heital hernia, scar tissue adhesions from a hysterectomy in 2000, and numerous other stomach problems most of my life.  In February 2010, I became extremely ill, and doctors at first believed I had "food poisoning." I was placed on steroids, but continued to have bloody diarhhea, severe abdominal cramping and left side pain and upper right rib pain.  I lost approximately 15 pounds, went through ultrasounds, MRI's, CT Scans, colonoscopy and finally a hida scan which showed a very low to non-functioning gall bladder, but no gallstones. I also showed signs of coilits (but it was believed it was from the prep from the colonoscopy), and this time no polyps (had three removed four years ago).  

I was sent to a surgeon who agreed that removal of the gall bladder was necessary, and have discussed the continued problems I'm experiencing following the surgery on 4/20/10.  I understand that all individuals heal and experience different symptoms following surgery; however, I can't tolerate anything.  It doesn't matter if it's low fat, soup, dry toast, water, or air (smile), I immediately become extremely nauseated, and end up with diarhhea within minutes.  The only plus side is I was in need of losing some weight, and to date, I have lost approximately 35 pounds.  I wouldn't recommend this as a method for doing so however.  It's difficult to lay down.  I still have rib pain.  My belly button incision is still very sore.  Nauseau/diarheaa are no better.  And I have to be back at work next week.  Any help would be MOST appreciated!
Hi..so sorry u r going thru all this...I understand how u must feel. My dad went thru this exact problem after GB removal,.It was H. Pylori and was found after testing several times for it....do ask if u were checked for it.

Good luck
"selma"
I had gallbladder surgery and was unable to do much of anything for 2 months...although I know people who were fine several months later.  I don't know if you're sick for the same reason, but my problem was extreme pain due to the gas they pump in your stomach area so they can see the organs better.  

To get rid of the gassiness, eventually I started walking daily...which was all I could do because I was an avid exerciser prior to surgery.  I really think this helped.  I tried metamucil and citrucel but it did nothing for me.

As a side note, I have found out since that I have a tortuous colon so that is probably why the gas they pumped into my system just stayed there and wouldn't budge for a long time.
Thanks to both of you for your comments!  It helps more than you know just to feel like I'm not alone!  I've made a note of both possibilities to discuss with my gastro doctor on Wednesday.  I am in desparate need of relief!  Tonight I tried a bite of plain baked chicken and dry baked potato - oh my what a mistake!!! If something doesn't give, I guess I will give up eating altogether.  Thanks again!  I will keep you posted on what I find out.
Attempting to update information following latest appointment in hopes the information will be of benefit to others experiencing similar problems pre and post surgery for gall bladder removal.  Apparently, I have neither of the conditions mentioned above, as verified following previous testing.  I have been placed on Xifiaxin (an anitibiotic specifically for "the gut"), and another medication called Welchol, that I am to adjust according to my diarhhead symptoms.  I continue to have difficulty with nausea following meals, and am unable to eat much of anything.  My surgeon and gastro doctor feel that it isn't unusual for individuals to experience different and prolonged periods of healing as well as weight loss following gall bladder removal.  I am to return for a follow up in six weeks.