Gastroenterology Community
Extremely foul-smelling gas

This forum is for questions regarding Gastroenterology issues such as Acid Reflux (GERD), Barretts Esophagus, Colitis, Colon/Bowel Disorders, Crohn's Disease, Diverticulitis/ Diverticulosis, Digestive Disorders and Stomach Pain.

Extremely foul-smelling gas

Help!  I have been experiencing very foul-smelling gas that has gotten increasingly worse over the past year.  I now experience this everyday, several times a day.  It is the worst in the evening before I go to bed and in the morning when I wake up.  The smell is foul - almost sulfur-like and it certainly lingers!  I haven't had any major surguries, I am 28 years old, 5'4" about 130 lbs, and I run or go to the gym 6 days/week.  I don't eat much meat, except for fish and occasionally chicken.  I do eat a lot of soy-based "meat" products, however.  I also feel bloated most of the time.  My bowels are thin and only happen every couple of days.  My gas has gotten so bad that my family thinks there is something wrong with me, I keep a Febreez bottle by my desk at work, and its decreasing my social life!  Someone help!  I went to the doctor and he told me that it is probably just the food I am eating....He didn't think it is a big deal, but it is!!!    
Did the doc do any stool tests? If not, ask to be tested for ova and parasites just to cover some of the possibilities. You didn't mention any change in bowel habits, but if you're experiencing any form of severe diarrhea, make sure they do a test for C. diff (in triplicate).

You may also want to consider trying some probiotics. They're the 'good' bacteria you should have in your GI tract and may not have do to lifestyle, drugs or a variety of things that can happen. There are very decent brands on the market, some of which are Culturelle, Digestive-Advantage-IBS and FloraQ. The only contraindications would be immunosuppression or pancreatitis.
Several years ago I had this same problem.  I would take something for the gas and it would go away for a day or so but when it came back it still had that same foul smell.  This went on for several months.  I got sick with something else and they put me on an antibotic (antibiotic).  After taking the antibiotic I didn't have the foul smell with my gas anymore.  I think I must of had some type of bacterial infection of some kind that was causing it.  When I had the problem it was just like yours, the smell had a sulfur smell to it and it lingered in the air for what seemed like a very lng time.  It was embarrassing.

I hope it is nothing serious and that you continue to go to the doctor to make sure it doesn't turn into anything.

In the meantime you could try taking a product such as CharcoCaps which is an activated charcoal tablet that helps relieve gas, pressure and bloating. It is available at many retailers and you can visit their web site at www.charcocaps.com to get more information.

Good luck and I wish you the best!!
hi, you most probably have a bacterial infection in your diverticular, anti-biotics will cure it, cheers.
Thanks for your help everyone!  I will certainly take your suggestions.  Is there a particular anti-biotic that I should request or would any one of them work?

One other possible cause of gas for some people who are dieting for weight control is the sugar alcohol they add to sugar-free foods.  Sugar alcohol doesn't seem to affect most people, but for those it does, it causes copious foul-smelling gas.  Watch for it in foods sweetened with Nutrasweet, Splenda, or any sugar substitute.  A small amount is in sugar-free gum also.  
If you do take anitbiotics be sure to take probiotics or you could end up even worse.  The anitbiotics kill off all the "good" bacteria in your colon too.  These need to be replaced or you could end up with candida overgrowth among the possibility that another "bad" bacteria could get out of control without the "good" bacteria to keep them in check.  I would also suggest a test called a Comprehensive Stool Analysis.  This test checks for bacteria, parasites, digestive function, levels of good bacteria, levels of digestive enzymes, and more.  You might also try digestive enzymes, if the food you eat isn't getting broken down adequately it will ferment causing gas.  Keep sugar and food containing it and sweet fruits to a minimum, yeast and bacteria feed on sugar resulting in gas.
I've been getting this awful wind too so I tried a gluten free diet for a week. That seemed to help but then I ate (deliberately) a small amount of gluten containing foods and all seemed well.

However when I had red wine and or beer the pong returned in my wind and faeces, so I wondered if a yeast infection or parasitic one might be to blame? (The day before my first attack I ate an apple direct from a tree with only the most cursory wash, the tree I later found out had 'black spot').

It is very difficult socially -I'm dreading visiting family at Christmas if it isn't cleared before then! - and while people say here antibiotics, digestive enzymes or probiotics (I  tried vitamin tablets with 'friendly bacteria' and they helped but only briefly) I have no idea what tablets specifically you might mean?

Any, all, sensible advice welcomed! Avoid alcohol is easier said than done at Christmas, though I am not a heavy drinker atall.
I suffer from the same problem. I have taken antibiotics & even had a colonoscopy. I was told I had IBS. The only thing I was told was to use Benefiber 3 times a day & Miralax daily. Still have the same problem. Good luck!
I need help with this foul smell.
I have the same problem, every evening normally after an hour of eating dinner! It is getting ridiculous, I am starting to wonder if it has anything to do with hormones, I had it really bad when I was pregnant with both my children and also breast feeding, once I stopped breast feeding with my second the smell went away, then a year later I got a merina put in and it started up again! Has anyone else noticed anything similar?
So I dad the same problem and gas pills wouldn't help at all, so I read everything they got in inet and now experiencing huge relief, still passing excessive gas but much less and it doesn't smell THAT bad, just normal and its been only 4 days since i started treating myself. What I learned is you need to address your colon health- repopulate it with good bacteria-probiotics is your friend, detox your body, work on ridding off paradises, 98% of Americans has at least one type of them, and if you don't efecuate every day it creates a good environment for paradises, also 1 gallon of water a day, we can't efford not drink it if we have  colon problems, your body needs to be hydrated very well to efecuate normal, if you drink cofee you might need to quit as it dehydrate us inside out, at least for the time until you restore ur colon health, also splendor may contribute to the foul gas problem, sugar alcohol tends to, I don't know why but I did indeed consumed excessive amount of truvia, sugar substitute and desided to stop it for a while and see if it helps eliminate gas, so against the paradises I read clarkia works wonders and calcium bentonite clay which is natural supplement, it treats inflammation, fights bacterias and viruses, specially good for people with any gut problems like IBS, gastritis, etc, I didnt try it yet but ordered so will try soon, so what I did so far is probiotic enema my first day of treatment, you can't do those very often only once every 5-7 days if things are very bad and nothing else helps, cuz it can cause serious side effect, but I figured at least once won't hurt, what u do is cleaning colon and repopulate it with healthy bacteria at the same time, so after my 1st attempt I felt amazing I finally felt clean inside out, had a lot of energy, my gas diminished for a day and smelled completely different, at the same time I started taking probiotic pills and candida pills every day, as I read foul gas may be the symptom of candida overgrowth in your body, so after my first day of enema the foul gas returned on the second day, I felt different though, as something start working in my guts, I also increased water intake and drink emergen c 6000 mg a day, no cofee no sugar substitute, I also make anti inflammatory teas 3 times a day 30 min before meals on empty stomach, my tea is made of fennel seeds, hyperici herba, and some antiinflamatory blend I found in the store, all plants, and the last thing that really helped to efecuate every day is having at least 1 oz of spinach in my meals every day, it moves your bowels through the guts, so it s been 4 days and I feel as different person, I know I didn't get rid of the problem yet, but I'm sure I'm on the right track I feel so much better, almost back to be a normal person lol
Parasites, Splenda, sorry for mistakes, it's not my native language, hope u make a sense of it, lol