Gastroenterology Community
FUNDIC GLAND POLYP

This forum is for questions regarding Gastroenterology issues such as Acid Reflux (GERD), Barretts Esophagus, Colitis, Colon/Bowel Disorders, Crohn's Disease, Diverticulitis/ Diverticulosis, Digestive Disorders and Stomach Pain.

FUNDIC GLAND POLYP

My mum aged 68 had undergone for twice stomach scope due to gastritis acid and bloatedness. Doctor had written a referral letter for her to see doctor upon necessary is as follows:-

The above patient had a history of epigastric bloatedness and discomfort. She had no alarm symptoms and her clinical examinations were unremarkable. OGD showed gastritis and gastric polyp. Biopsy showed fundic gland polyp. CLO test was negative.Her symptoms improved with a course of omeprazole and motilium.

Doctor had advised her to take medications as when necessary and told us that as the polyp is benign so need not remove out.

My question is:

1) If my mum only feel stomach bloated, could she just take the Motilium without Omeprazole?
2) Will the gastric polyp grow bigger and more and cause digestion problem?
3) Any diets to improve her conditions?

Thank You in advance.
Worried

Tags: glands, polyps
Lilian, in most cases any polyps that are found are removed. A doc can't determine whether or not a polyp is benign just from looking. Polyps have to be biopsied. If the polyps weren't removed, the doctor was remiss in doing so. Make sure it's followed up with a good GI person.

If your mother has gastritis and a PPI was prescribed, it's to be taken continuously until the doc says otherwise. PPIs aren't taken sometimes. They need to be taken and the medication builds up in the system to fully be effective. Recheck with the doc about this.

A GERD-friendly diet should be followed. You can find a representative example at gicare.com. Follow the diet link and look for the GERD diet.