Gastroenterology Community
Feels like my ribs are bruised, but did nothing to make it that way

This forum is for questions regarding Gastroenterology issues such as Acid Reflux (GERD), Barretts Esophagus, Colitis, Colon/Bowel Disorders, Crohn's Disease, Diverticulitis/ Diverticulosis, Digestive Disorders and Stomach Pain.

I woke up from a dead sleep Fri. night. It felt like my right lower front rib cage was bruised. It is now Tues. and I still have a lot of pain. Not so bad that I can't deal, but it is a constant pain, it hurts more if I stretch up or bend over. It now seems a little swollen where the pain is (right where your ribs start to curve up to form around the diaphragm). I have had almost constant diarrhea or pasty b.m. for many months now. I had my gallbladder removed 20 yrs. ago. It is very tender to the touch, and if I do a lot of activity (walking around a mall, etc) it REALLY starts hurting. I do drink alcohol and have acid reflux. I am very seriously considering going to a doctor, but I have no health insurance and already have many dr. bills due to a broken vertebrae in my lower back area, so I don't want to go unless I have to. Any ideas on what this might be?
could be appendicitis, or symptom of GERD i would definetly go to the doc.
Once every few years, since I was in grade school, I get a tenderness of the cartilage of my ribs in the arch under the sternum.  It has always gone away after several days.  It seems to be a musculoskeletal thing, and I hope that's all yours is.  If you are able to take ibuprofen, see if that brings relief.  Even acetaminophen should help some if that's all it is.