Gastroenterology Community
Fever reduction w/chron's

This forum is for questions regarding Gastroenterology issues such as Acid Reflux (GERD), Barretts Esophagus, Colitis, Colon/Bowel Disorders, Crohn's Disease, Diverticulitis/ Diverticulosis, Digestive Disorders and Stomach Pain.

Fever reduction w/chron's

I'm currently in a flare w/bleeding from crohn's disease and my current medication is colazal (3 3x/day) and 20mg prednisone.  I have also been running a high fever and was suggested to take tylenol and motrin, alternating between each every 3 hours.  Is this ok to do with my current condition and medication?  I know motrin is a non-steroidal anti-inflammatory and prednisone is a steroidal anti-inflammatory so I am unsure about the combination especially since I have some GI bleeding.
Tags: reduction, Gastroenterology, Bleeding, crampy, IBS, s, diarrhea, dose, imodium, motrin, pain, prednisone, Running, Crohn, Crohns disease
Hi - sorry to hear you are having a flare. When I have them, my gastro prescribes 30 mg prednisone to start with, and taper by 5 mg a week. Other than pred, he only prescribes imodium (immodium) for the diarrhea and codeine phosphate for the crampy pain. I take the latter two as and when needed. You could try googling colazal (I haven't heard of it) and see if there are any contra-indications.

Liz.
I will suggest you to keep using motrin, because  contains ibuprofen and is recommended for pain relief. Motrin IB is effective for many different ailments and recommended and supported by many medical professionals. Motrin's main pain reliever is ibuprofen. The recommended dose is 200 mg every 4-6 hours. For stronger pain, 2 of the 200 mg. caplets may be taken, not to exceed 6 caplets in 24 hours. One 200 mg caplet is recommended to take first, however, and the 2 capsule dose should be taken only as necessary.

For further motrin information take a look at
http://trustedprescriptionsonline.com/index.php/Pain-Relief/Motrin.html
my sister has chronic crohns and has had a high fever for a mounth and the doctors said to have broth and antibiotics and there not helping do any of you know what the fever is caused by and how to stop it? liz patzer
go to er and why aren,t you on humira ?  never mind the rest of the bull, i suffered for almost three years dont get me wrong i,m still not perfect but i,m much better then i was especially with the fevers, and pain is less sever.  to people who are bleeding i started bleeding with first time normal stool in three years this week a good amount have no idea why red blood in toilet on toilet paper and possibly tiny clots any ideas?
sick of being sick