Gastroenterology Community
Fistula Operation

Ask questions on Gastroenterology issues: Acid Reflux (GERD), Barretts Esophagus, Colitis, Colon/Bowel Disorders, Crohn's Disease, Diverticulitis/ Diverticulosis, Digestive Disorders and Stomach Pain.

Fistula Operation

Hi All,
I have just had operation to insert seton into my fistula which apparently turned out to be more complex than they thought it was. I had the op on Weds and i'm still really really uncomfortable. I'm starting infliximab in 2 weeks and should be having setons removed in about 8 weeks. Will it be this uncomfortable for th whole time they are in? Also, how long will there be draining from the wound? Man thanks if anyone can help xx
I had the same surgery for the same thing in May of 2010. My seton was in for exactly 6 months. I wish I could tell you that it all gets better quickly... It was uncomfortable for the majority that I had it in.  It drained almost every day. Now that I have it out, it continues to drain and after 16 days of its removal I will be starting flagyl in case of an infection.   My advice is to keep it clean (use babywipes) and use 2x2 gauze to control the drainage.  
I wish you the best of luck!!!!  (and hopefully someone will post a great experience so we both can learn more)