Gastroenterology Community
Flat Stool

This forum is for questions regarding Gastroenterology issues such as Acid Reflux (GERD), Barretts Esophagus, Colitis, Colon/Bowel Disorders, Crohn's Disease, Diverticulitis/ Diverticulosis, Digestive Disorders and Stomach Pain.

Flat Stool

I'm a 45 year old guy in good health. Recently, I began noticing that my stool is flat, almost semi-circle (round one side and flat on the other). No bleeding seen. Normal color for the most part. Also, slightly constipated. No other symptoms (no weight loss, cramping, no family history, good appetite, no fatigue etc.).

Scared that it may be colon cancer but I'm reluctant to discuss with my doc. since I have no other symptoms. I guess I'm waiting for the other shoe to drop, so to speak. I understand that it could be inflammation but I don't think I have any sort of IBD, unless it is subtle.

I'm scheduled for my regular physical in 3 months. Should I wait it out until then or take action now? I just hate to sound like an idiot at the doctor but I read posts about people with vague symptoms then bam--colon cancer.

So is "watchful waiting" prudent here since I'm not yet 50+ or should I take action now? Thanks for the advice in advance.
If you're worried, then you should get it checked out!
Andy, what is your family history with regard to colon polyps or colon cancer?  My husband, when in his forties, ignored the fact that his stool shape was slowly changing.  Because his Dad had colon cancer diagnosed in his 60's, my husband's Dr suggested he get a colonoscopy before 50.  So when he was about your age he got his first one and sure enough, several, one a good size, polyps were found and removed.  Thankfully they had not turned cancerous yet.  Each time he has had a colonoscopy, they have removed more of these growths.  Had he waited til 50, he may have developed cancer or a blockage due to the size of the polyps.  His bowel movements were formed but got much narrower than when he was younger.  You could always call the Drs office and let them decide if you should get your colonoscopy sooner than at the age of 50.  People do not die when this cancer is caught early.  My father in law is now in his 80's.  Good luck and let us know what happens.
Me again.  Sorry, just noticed you said u had no family history of colon cancer.  Still, my advice is the same.  Call your Dr.  Tell the office what you have observed and leave it up to the professional.  It will at least relieve you and take some of the pressure off for the next three months.  PS The colonoscopy is easy, you are sedated and won't be aware of anything.