Gastroenterology Community
Food doesn't go down

This forum is for questions regarding Gastroenterology issues such as Acid Reflux (GERD), Barretts Esophagus, Colitis, Colon/Bowel Disorders, Crohn's Disease, Diverticulitis/ Diverticulosis, Digestive Disorders and Stomach Pain.

Food doesn't go down

Im having problem with solid food going down to my stomach. Most of the time it get stuck in the middle of my chest, thick mucus starts to build up, and my face turns blue as if I was choking. So I must forced it out of my mouth. Swallowing liquid is somewhat better but still having a hard time.
   I went to the doctor to have an upper GI done and came back neg with any esauphagus(sp?) damage/cancer. Prior to all this problem, I was having bad heartburn in the middle of night and 6 month after having frequent heartburns this swallowing problem came about. Doctor said its just contractions on the esauphagus and prescribe me some regulan, which did little to no help. And some Nexium that cured my frequent heartburn.
  Now Im afraid to eat out in public as I constantly rushing to the restroom to cough out all the food and waste money on it which ends up in the toilet(undigested). Im losing alot of weight. Im tired of eating soup or liquidy food and looking forward to eat a nice piece of steak that will go through my digestive system and exit the normal way. Sorry for being too detail, Im just anxious. Thank you for all help.

Did you ever get a response?  I have the same problem!  They told me it was acid reflux, but I know it's not because like you explained the food just sit in your throat until you have to "cough" it up... mine is more of a make myself vomit type thing, but yeah... me too!
I have been having this problem increasingly for the last few years.  Today I got a EGD scope done and he called it EE- eosinophilic esophagitis.  I am yet to learn about what exactly to do about it, but I am certainly anxious to know.
I was told that EE is mostly linked to allergies.... only I have had no allergies as far as I know.  For now, I am afraid of about everything.  Trying not to have to puke and be able to hold down my pills.  Having been on medhelp for a while, most of my questions and answers are on the cardiac forums.  Keeping my meds down is a huge issue.  Has anybody experinced treatment of allergies to make a difference in the choking, gagging, puking...?
my dad is experiencing the same problem, I'm at the moment very worried!! he says he gets a chocking sensation every time he swallows anything even water! he them coughs until he vomits it all up!! sometimes when hes eating soft food it comes down his nose, doctors have already sent him for a chest x-ray, and were waiting for him to get a call to get a camera put down?? please help..
I experienced the same thing for months now...not being able to eat or drink cause if i do it gets caught in my throat and its forced back...like my body is automatically balemic(?). I went thru test after test...they tried tosay it was acid reflux in stuff but i knew it wasnt so i went to my G.I Dr. to get what they call The Barium Swallow which is some white chalky sttuff that u have to swallow while getting x-rayed. They found out that the barium didnot go down into my stomache. So they came to the conclusion that i possibably had a rare illness called Achalasia. Then i had to go and get a Monometric Study done which confimed it. My Doc tried to give me heart meds to try to help relax my muscles so that i can see if food or liquid stay down...but that didnt work AT ALL. Now im weighing my options of getting botox injections in my throat...which only last from weeks to months. Balloon Dialation...i heard could only last months and the symphoms might come back, or Surgery...which is not a 100% guarantee that i am cured. I guess it all depends on your body...to each its own. Ive been going thru this for over 7mths now and lost over 70lbs....im am willing to take that change on the surgery...i just want a Good Meal that stays down so i can gain my weight back...im sooo tired of throwing up. Have your Dr. test yall for possible Alchalsia...that could be the problem.
I too was constantly having problems swollowing.  It was growing progressively worse.  Had to have the Heimlich manuver 3 times and was increasingly becoming afraid to eat.  I too went to the doctor who did tests to no avail.  I started taking liquid iodine because a doctor had told me most people in USA are iodine deficient as companies no longer put the amount of iodine in salt that they previously did.  When I did this, my energy level increased, appetite decreased and NO MORE SWOLLOWING PROBLEMS!    Nolongerafraid
What you and the top contributor are describing is dysphagia, difficulty with swallowing. Food gets stuck, or you feel the sensation of food getting stuck and you are either sick or have to make yourself sick to bring it up, (regurgitation). This can be caused by Acid reflux. I would ask for a test called a barium meal, which is  harmless chemical that shows up as it goes down on the screen. Sometimes the muscles that force the food down and then relax, do not coordinate. I would definitely continue pressing for help pinpointing what you have, and then appropriate treatment.
Swallowing is a complex procedure.  Dysphagia means swallowing difficulties, and usually caused by nerve or muscle problems. Dysphagia may occur after a stroke, throat and mouth cancer, gastro-oesophageal reflux disease (GORD), or as a symptoms of several different neurological conditions disorders. Pain can be the sole cause of dysphagia; a pain in the throat makes swallowing difficult.

A typical "swallow" involves several different muscles and nerves. •Seeing, smelling and tasting - when we see, smell or taste food/drink we produce saliva, which is designed to make chewing easier.
•We chew the food until it becomes a soft bolus - a mass of food that is ready to swallow. The tongue pushes the bolus to the back of the mouth to the pharynx. From this moment onwards, the swallowing movement is a reflex action (automatic).
•The larynx (voice box) closes to prevent food/liquid from going down the windpipe into the lungs. The gulping action pushes the food into the oesophagus, which has muscular walls and pushes the food down to the stomach.
Dysphagia can be caused by a difficulty anywhere in the swallowing process described above.

There are two types of dysphagia: •Oropharyngeal dysphagia (high dysphagia). The problem is in the mouth and/or throat. This is usually caused by a neurological problem - there is something wrong with the nerves (and muscles). Doctors say this type of dysphagia is more difficult to treat.

•Oesophageal dysphagia (low dysphagia). The problem is in the oesophagus. This is usually because of some blockage or irritation. Often, a surgical procedure is required to solve the problem.
Not all problems with swallowing problems are down to lack of iodine in salt. In fact, I would not associate it with that at all. I would always advocate any swallowing difficulties be reported to the doctor with further tests to find the cause. Dysphagia can get worse with time and there can be serious implications if left untreated.
I just started having this problem with the swallowing and then throwing up, and I have been noticing how my neck really has been swelling up when I get sick.  I haven't been to the doctor yet due to not having insurance. and wont have it until late June. My throat hurts all the  time due to getting sick. I don't eat all day for fear of throwing up at work. I need HELP or some suggestions, anyone........