Gastroenterology Community
Food gets stuck and I choke

This forum is for questions regarding Gastroenterology issues such as Acid Reflux (GERD), Barretts Esophagus, Colitis, Colon/Bowel Disorders, Crohn's Disease, Diverticulitis/ Diverticulosis, Digestive Disorders and Stomach Pain.

Food gets stuck and I choke

For about five years now I have had a problem with swallowing food such as chicken, pork, baked cheese, dry breads. IN the last year it has has gotten so bad that I have almost passed out as I can not breathe.

I went to a Gastronologist earlier this year and after an endoscopy that showed very little scarring from acid reflux he put me on two 40mg tablets of Pantoloc a day. For the first two months it was like night and day but now I seemed to be regressing back to where I was before. I was at my sisters a week ago eating a pretzel and after chewing it completely I swallowed and it seemed to get stuck like a ball. The location of where it gets stuck is always the same, at the base of my neck. I took a small sip of water to help it down but that made matters worse, as has happened in the past, as the water expanded the obstruction and I could not breathe. I tried to make myself throw-up, I leaned forward over the sink and the water came out. I continued intense heaves and only a small amount of food came up and then my sister came running over in a panic and attempted to give me the Heimlich but because she was so scared it was not that effective. I continued to make myself heave as hard as I could until finally I was able to clear the food and breathe.

I am definately scared that one of these days I will pass out on my own and that will be the end of me. The pills don't seem to be working anymore, I don't have much scarring on the esophagus, and I am getting worried when I eat.

Any Ideas?
It looks like your GERD is not under control. Have you had test for H. pylori?

Black tea or other tea may help to moisten esophageal mucosa.