Aa
A
A
Close
Food gets stuck and I choke
For about five years now I have had a problem with swallowing food such as chicken, pork, baked cheese, dry breads. IN the last year it has has gotten so bad that I have almost passed out as I can not breathe.

I went to a Gastronologist earlier this year and after an endoscopy that showed very little scarring from acid reflux he put me on two 40mg tablets of Pantoloc a day. For the first two months it was like night and day but now I seemed to be regressing back to where I was before. I was at my sisters a week ago eating a pretzel and after chewing it completely I swallowed and it seemed to get stuck like a ball. The location of where it gets stuck is always the same, at the base of my neck. I took a small sip of water to help it down but that made matters worse, as has happened in the past, as the water expanded the obstruction and I could not breathe. I tried to make myself throw-up, I leaned forward over the sink and the water came out. I continued intense heaves and only a small amount of food came up and then my sister came running over in a panic and attempted to give me the Heimlich but because she was so scared it was not that effective. I continued to make myself heave as hard as I could until finally I was able to clear the food and breathe.

I am definately scared that one of these days I will pass out on my own and that will be the end of me. The pills don't seem to be working anymore, I don't have much scarring on the esophagus, and I am getting worried when I eat.

Any Ideas?
Cancel
1 Answers
Page 1 of 1
It looks like your GERD is not under control. Have you had test for H. pylori?

Black tea or other tea may help to moisten esophageal mucosa.
Comment
Cancel
Comment
Comment
Comment
Comment
Post Comment
Your Answer
Answer
Do you know how to answer? Tap here to leave your answer...
Answer
Answer
Post Answer
A
A
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
Gastroenterology Community Resources