Gastroenterology Community
Foul smelling gas, strange bowel movements

This forum is for questions regarding Gastroenterology issues such as Acid Reflux (GERD), Barretts Esophagus, Colitis, Colon/Bowel Disorders, Crohn's Disease, Diverticulitis/ Diverticulosis, Digestive Disorders and Stomach Pain.

I have been experiencing the most aweful smelling gas now for about 2-3 weeks. Now, my bowel movements are slow, sticky and well, strange. its like i dont even feel that i have to go, but its there. and it wont all come out either. I am experiencing abdominal pains sporadically, and with no change in diet (other than adding Usana shakes and bars into my diet) i have GAINED 10 pounds. I am eating healthy and cut back on drinking and exercise at least 4 times a week. I dont know what is wrong, but the smell and the movements are getting quite embarassing and frustrating!  please help!
Tags: bowel
Take whatever you've been eating that is 'different' than normal (the Usana shakes and bars?) out of your diet to see if that makes a difference. If it doesn't, call your doc and make an appointment to have some stool tests done to see if you could have picked up an unwanted critter along the way. Make sure to talk to the doc about possibly having more testing done if nothing shows up.

If the color of your fecal material has changed - darker or lighter - make sure to mention it to the doc. And if you're fecal material is very dark - verging on 'blackish' and sticky call the doc and tell him/her what's going on. When the fecal material starts to look black and have a tar-like consistency it coud mean that you're bleeding somewhere in your digestive tract and it needs to be investigated.