Gastroenterology Community
Frequent bowel movements

This forum is for questions regarding Gastroenterology issues such as Acid Reflux (GERD), Barretts Esophagus, Colitis, Colon/Bowel Disorders, Crohn's Disease, Diverticulitis/ Diverticulosis, Digestive Disorders and Stomach Pain.

Frequent bowel movements

I am a healthy male -- no serious medial issues -- i do have eczema -- over the past 35 years I have had what I would call a crampy bowel -- moderate exercise would cause a need to find a washroom.  Sometimes this could be quite painful and very embarrassing -- it would usually be accompanied by internal gasses (stomach sounds)  sometimes very loud -- also severe cramping.  I have lived with this and learned how to manage it -- my bowel movements have been fairly predictable and manageable.  Recently however things have taken a different turn.  I am now seeing up to 6-8 bowel movements a day -- the first two solid -- and then the rest almost like water -- literally shooting out of me.  I have had a couple of times where I have not been able to manage the issue -- the frequency is increasing as is the severity -- I really don't eat that much.  I plan to see my doctor in the next couple of weeks.  prior to that if anyone has any ideas I would appreciate it.  Is there anything I should ask my GP?

Hi - you could ask for a referral to a gastroenterologist for testing. A colonoscopy of the large intestine and/or an endoscopy of the small intestine would be a step in the right direction towards diagnosis. A breath test for coeliac too. A stool sample will rule out any parasitic infection. Multiple daily bowel movements is a sign that there is something wrong with your digestion. It could be many things i.e inflammatory bowel disease (Crohn's or Ulcerative Colitis), infection, pancreatitis (although I think this would also present with abdominal pain), gall bladder, etc.

I don't know where you live, but one test I have regularly here in England is a Calprotectin stool assay test. Non-invasive and cheap. If the calprotectin detected in the stool is out of range (20 is normal), this indicates inflammation somewhere in the gastro-intestinal tract and the gastro can then proceed with invasive testing such as endoscopies.  

Hope you get to see your GP soon, and a referral to a gastro. GP's are great, but not experts in all medical matters.

Liz.
Thanks am seeing my Doctor on Monday so will follow up.
Your symptoms sound exactly like the ones I was experiencing. I changed my diet to eat gluten free and I have not had them any more. It only took about 48 hours for me to feel better, I have been gluten free now since April 07.  If you get tested for celiac disease and it comes back negative, you could still be gluten intolerant and have the same symptoms.
Have a Gastro question?
100,000+ doctor answers