Gastroenterology Community
Frequent yellow stool in a child?

Ask questions on Gastroenterology issues: Acid Reflux (GERD), Barretts Esophagus, Colitis, Colon/Bowel Disorders, Crohn's Disease, Diverticulitis/ Diverticulosis, Digestive Disorders and Stomach Pain.

Frequent yellow stool in a child?

Hi, I have a 4 year old son who has been having yellow stool on and off for over a year. These stools are hard and large and seem difficult to pass sometimes. He also has diarrhea 2-3 times a month which can be a range of different colours but is also regularly yellow. He will also sometimes pass what seems to be just mucous?

His appetite will go from eating huge amounts to eating nothing at all for a day, and complains of stomach pains.

I have seen 2 Dr's, one took a sample of his stool (which came back normal) but both have told me that it is ok and doesn't need to be looked into any further.

I am at a loss as I don't know what could be causing this, and obviously trying to diagnose something with the advice of a Dr is very difficult. Can anyone help?

Thank you in advance.
Your son needs to see a pediatric gastroenterologist ASAP!  This is not normal, and needs to be diagnosed before it becomes a serious problem. Don't stop until you have an answer and your son is well.
Thanks mammo. After reading that I took him back to the GP's to talk about it again. The Dr still doesn't want to refer him, he says it's probably nothing so just to keep watch for another 6 months or so.

He suggested that the reason his stool was so pale was because he is vegetarian - I find that very hard to believe as I am vegetarian as are my entire family and none of us have ever had pale stool.

But then I don't know as much as a Dr so I suppose I am at their mercy, I will just have to take him back in 6 months - by which point this will have been going on for over 18 months. My poor boy!