Gastroenterology Community
Full feeling and pressure

This forum is for questions regarding Gastroenterology issues such as Acid Reflux (GERD), Barretts Esophagus, Colitis, Colon/Bowel Disorders, Crohn's Disease, Diverticulitis/ Diverticulosis, Digestive Disorders and Stomach Pain.

Full feeling and pressure

43 yo female, 5'6", 154 lbs due to recent weight gain of 14 lbs. even though I eat great, small meals, lots of fiber,lots of water,exercise 45 minutes 4 day/week and weight lift for toning. (Weight gain not due to weight lifting since clothes don't fit.)
I'm very upset about weight gain which is situated in my stomach, bloating, gas pains in lower GI and been to general Practitioner who tells me I'm in perfect health and maybe I should drop to 1500 cal diet.
Coupled with this is my digestive problems of constipation, straining during BM's.  In the past month or so, my stomach seems to be in my diaphragm after eating anything, no matter how small the amount. I have to sit up straight to alleviate the pressure.  Does anyone know what this is?! I kept thinking the weight gain was due to thyroid although the tests all came back normal.  Could this be digestive? Tried an IBS diet recently with some relief of gas pains but now the stomach pressure.
Any ideas?
Thanks!
Joan
I have the same symptoms and I too have gained weight and I too have the feeling of my stomach being in my chest! I feel that my gallbladder is not functioning correctly and its causeing the food not to digest and thus the weight gain, i need answers also !!
All i can tell you, is the pressure that you might feel is when you're blosted from being constipated. I get that, because I have IBS. What I do is use a Enema, it will help for the moment. Maybe also you need to drink more water, it depends how much you drink water. It helps from being constipated. Eating plenty of veggies and fruits also helps.. What I did to lose weight and not gaining it back, is eating healthy, like not even using oil in anything. I don't roast anything, I eat rice, pasta veggies and meat but all in small portions. Sometimes I eat only when my stomac hurts of hunger then I know that my body needs food. Well I hope I helped.
I think it's time to blow off the GP and see both a gynecologist and a gastroenterologist.  Female problems such as ovarian cysts and endometriosis can cause the GI symptoms you report, and it wouldn't hurt to at least rule out that aspect of it.

A GI specialist can run more detailed tests on your gallbladder, liver, pancreas, and intestines.

Since you're eating so well and exercising, I don't see that there is much else you can do to self-treat.  There is good reason for the warnings on over-the-counter medications for indigestion, diarrhea or constipation that if symptoms aren't relieved in a certain amount of time, to go see your doctor.  If your GP is still stuck on the diet issue, get thee to another doctor.  :-)
Hi again!  Just a thought: if your original complaint to your doc was about the weight gain, I can kind of see where he was coming from about lowering the calories in your diet.  The important thing this time around is to focus on the other symptoms and not just the weight gain.  Sorry if I'm being stupid here, but many times people will forget to tell the doc everything and just focus on one symptom - particulary women when the first thing we notice is weight gain!  :-)

I sure hope your doc will listen to you and start some investigations to get to the bottom of your troubles.  Good luck!  :-)
Thanks so much for the feedback!
I spoke to my friends about my pressure and they said maybe a hiatel hernia or GERD?  I just wonder why the order of my symptoms seems so bizarre: First, unexplained weight gain of 2 to 5 lbs. per month as well as the ever present BM problems and gas.  And now this pressure!
I scheduled an appt. for tomorrow and will request to see a GI specialist.  After all this time of complaining about the unexplained weight gain and begging Dr. for explanation, I hate to even see him.  But, I will suck it up so I can get to the solution.  I know my GP isn't very good but I can't switch Dr.'s because the plan I'm on doesn't allow it until open season.
Thanks and love this forum!!
Joan
Thanks Jaybay, I can see what you're saying.  I really didn't give all the info on my visits cuz it would of been too long.  My summary left alot out.  That being said, I did go to the same GP and he told me I have gallbladder problems.  I am floored since I am so healthy! I have an abdominal ultrasound today so we'll see what that shows.  Could this cause weight gain?
(I am obsessed about this issue...)
Thanks!
Joan
I have the same issues,had my gallbladder removed 3yrs ago...doctors say its weight gain...Everytime i eat a meal or snack my stomach swells big time....My mom has the same issues.Never had this problem until gall bladder was removed i also gained 20lbs....so angry....i am increasing the fiber in my diet, i dont think thats working now im over bloated with a sick feeling..i beieve its a lubrication problem if that make sense food doesnt pass through as easily now stilll loooking into it....