Fundic gland polyps
I have been on 20mg Losec (omeprazole) for many years and recently had a stomach scope that showed I had more than 50 (they stop counting after 50) Fundic gland polyps. Research tells me these polyps are the result of extended use of Losec. A biopsy was done of one and showed it was not cancerous and the doctor told me it is not a great cause for concern but that I should have regular scopes. Nevertheless I do worry. Is there an alternative to Losec that will not cause this problem? I would like to reduce the Losec dose but my GP tells me this is not wise. Any thoughts? Many thanks.
Hi there,
Omeprazole is associated with a risk of developing fundic gland polyposis.The prognosis and risk of development of cancer with fundic gland polyposis, varies based on the underlying cause of the polyposis. The risk is highest with congenital polyposis syndromes, and is lowest in acquired causes. It is recommend that patients with multiple fundic polyps have a repeated follow up and colonscopy.For what condition have you been talking omeprazole? A drug is usually prescribed it its benefits outweigh the risks. Discuss your concerns with your doctor and get your doubts clarified. I hope it helps.
Best luck and regards!
Hi there and many thanks for your quick response. Much appreciated! In answer to your question, I was prescribed Omeprazole for gastric reflux. I had bowel cancer just under five years ago (I had a resection but cancer had not spread so chemo etc was considered unnecessary). I now have two-yearly colonoscopies and have been advised to have two-yearly gastroscopies following the discovery of fundic gland polyposis.
Many thanks again.