Gastroenterology Community
Fundoplication Complications
About This Community:

This forum is for questions regarding Gastroenterology issues such as Acid Reflux (GERD), Barretts Esophagus, Colitis, Colon/Bowel Disorders, Crohn's Disease, Diverticulitis/ Diverticulosis, Digestive Disorders and Stomach Pain.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Fundoplication Complications

Has anyone had any complications from having the Nissen Fundoplication Surgery?
Tags: GERD
Related Discussions
3 Comments Post a Comment
Blank
I had no symptom until I took an ASA and vomit!, but now I have epigastric pain all the time
Blank
I had two Nissan's done. The first one slipped and caused problems. After the Nissan I had difficulty swallowing to the point that I could only swallow small sips of liquids. I became dehydrated and had to be readmitted to the hospital. I continue to have minor swallowing difficulty usually with the first few bites of food. If I chew small bites very well and allow time in between bites I manage pretty well.
Blank
I had a Nissen Fundoplication and Paraesophageal Hernia Repair in January 08.  I did well the first several weeks  following but I was on a soft diet of cream soups, oatmeal, jello and puddings.  

Since adding solid foods to my diet and about from two months following the surgery, I have had several problems.  First, vomiting 3 - 4 evening meals a week.  I seem to do well with breakfast, however I must begin each day with yogurt or my stomach aches all day.  Recently, I developed terrible pains in my chest which my gastro said might be air/gas.  My belching has become terrible--embarrassing-- as I've never been a belcher!   I also go through spells of several days of diarrhea, sometimes more than a week at a time.

I've also found that carbonated beverages complicate my system.  I've never been much of a soft drink lover, other than ginger ale but I've had to give that up as well as carbonated water.  

I find that chewing gum does help somewhat and I try to eat small meals throughout the day.  

My gastro says my complications may be based on one of three things.  (1)  body needs more time to heal and complications should go away with time  (2)  pocket may have formed in esophogus near nissen surgery and food becomes stuck in the pocket rather than moving down to the stomach  (3) nerve in esophogus may have been nicked in surgery.

I am scheduled for a gastric empty study and upper GI in the next few weeks.  I hoping we get this fixed soon.
Blank
Post a Comment
To
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
Gastroenterology Community Resources
RSS Expert Activity
469720_tn?1388149949
Blank
Abdominal Aortic Aneurysm-treatable... Blank