Gastroenterology Community
GERD - Clearing Throat
About This Community:

This forum is for questions regarding Gastroenterology issues such as Acid Reflux (GERD), Barretts Esophagus, Colitis, Colon/Bowel Disorders, Crohn's Disease, Diverticulitis/ Diverticulosis, Digestive Disorders and Stomach Pain.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

GERD - Clearing Throat

Hello,

So for about a year I found myself going through periods where I had to clear my throat a lot... most of the time in fact, but it did seem to have some low periods. I went to my primary care physician several times, with the response always being some sort of allergies and increasing/adding allergy medicines I took. I did have a chest x-ray done, which showed nothing.

While the primary symptom was near constant need to clear my throat, I additionally felt post-nasal drip (nothing strange as I do have bad pollen allergies), weak voice (especially when I started talking).

In the begining of February 2010 I finally called up and ENT and went, since the situation was not improving. He found I had GERD and had me take Prilosec once a day, one hour before dinner. Additionally, he had me get a humidifier for my bedroom as my sinuses were exceptionally dry.

After about a month, I was sounding much, much better but still clearing my throat a fair bit. I would say it improved about 70%. When I revisited the ENT, he saw the reflux had improved significantly, and my nose/sinuses were also looking better. Since I was still having the throat clearing issues, he had me start doing a sinus rinse because of the dryness. While improved a lot, my sinuses were still affected.

After another month (now mid-April) I returned again. My throat clearing was a little better, though not fantastic. From my original complaints I was now maybe 75% better, and my sinuses were looking much improved. My ENT doctor said the reflux was looking more improved, but still there some. He suggested to start taking the Prilosec twice per day now (hour before breakfast, hour before dinner), and after dinner take a few Tums. He said while this was a combination of acid relief and to replenish calcium, as Prilosec apparently can reduce calcium absoprtion.

I've now been doing the double Prilosec, and Tums for a few weeks. I feel maybe slightly improved, but not cured. The bottom line is the clearing throat/lump in throat is still an issue.

Now that I've review the situation, I'm hoping I can get some comments from users here. First, how much longer should I wait for it to be "cured"? What else should I ask my ENT? Also, has any one had this big throat clearing issue, and did it ever go away? The lump in my throat feeling is driving me nuts, let alone the weakened voice from clearing it constantly! How long does it take to heal from GERD?

A few things I should note, I suppose. I could certainly lose some weight - 30-40 pounds, and am working on that. I've lost 6lbs in about 3 weeks so I am patting myself on the back. Per friends suggestions, I tilted my bed which certainly helped. Also, when the symptoms first appeared it came after a bad case of bronchitis I had... which was treated with anti-biotics and I felt much better. I don't know if it's coincidence or not... I'm guessing it is because I have twice received and laryngscopy and the ENT said he clearly saw the reflux. Oh, and I am 25.

Hopefully this rant will help my healing some! Just been SO frustrated!

Thanks in advance,

Will