Gastroenterology Community
GERD, Hiatal Hernia symptoms??

This forum is for questions regarding Gastroenterology issues such as Acid Reflux (GERD), Barretts Esophagus, Colitis, Colon/Bowel Disorders, Crohn's Disease, Diverticulitis/ Diverticulosis, Digestive Disorders and Stomach Pain.

GERD, Hiatal Hernia symptoms??

First I want to add that I'm a 26 yr old female, 5'9, and I'm not overweight (125 lbs.) I went to the doctor about a month ago complaining of burping up food, chest pain, indigestion so he put me on Nexium. That hasn't really helped me much. Last night, I ate some pizza and drank a couple of beers (which I never do, so I'm not used to alcohol), about an hour later, my heart was racing and I felt a little nauseated. My heart rate was about 140 and stayed that way for about 4 hrs. with occasional fluttering sensation in my chest and throat. I layed down in bed and I got a weird feeling in my chest. When I would sit up, I'd have the urge to burp but couldn't. When I finally stood up, I could burp but some of the food that I had ate 4-5 hrs ago was coming back up. My mouth was dry so I took a drink of water. About 10 seconds later, I burped and some of the water came back up with the acid taste. I know this is typical of GERD but what scared me was the high heart rate. So, I went back to the doctor this morning and my heart rate was still at 121. He did an EKG and everything was normal. He thinks I might have a hiatal hernia and is going to do an abdominal ultrasound in a couple of days. My question...is a rapid heart rate normal with GERD or Hiatal hernias?? Was it the alcohol mixed with GERD that caused the palpitations/rapid heart rate? What are the symptoms of Hiatal hernias?