Gastroenterology Community
GERD lifestyle changes

This forum is for questions regarding Gastroenterology issues such as Acid Reflux (GERD), Barretts Esophagus, Colitis, Colon/Bowel Disorders, Crohn's Disease, Diverticulitis/ Diverticulosis, Digestive Disorders and Stomach Pain.

GERD lifestyle changes

After having an endoscopy, I was diangnosed with a hiatal hernia and GERD while in the military in 1996. I've lived the past 12 years without medication or any lifestyle changes. I have noticed tomatoes, condiments (spicy sauces), onions, and certain acidic drinks (e.g. orangue juice, soda) can wreak havok the next morning...especially if eating them way into the late night.

I vomit what I believe to be stomach acid almost every morning after taking a shower.

I've had four crowns and one root canal in the past 10 years after going my first 25 years of life with only 3 cavities (all of which were when I was less than 10 years old)

Couple questions....

1. What are these lifestyle changes that I see several doctors reference?

2. Could this acid reflux I have been experiencing be what has caused me to have four teeth crowned and also have one root canal?

3. I was advised of a surgery (only advise I was given when I was diagnosed) that if I remember right....was to make my stomach smaller (dealing with the hiatal hernia). Doctor said a side effect would be increased bowel movements per day. Does this sound correct?

I appreciate anyone who can take the time and answer these. I've been 'dumb' to live with this for 12 years and really want to get it taken care of (and probably soon)

Kevin
Kevin, the situation could be GERD, but if you've been living with this for a number of years the best and fastest way to know whether it is and if it's done any damage would be to have an endoscopy (upper) done.

If it is acid reflux, the doc would probably prescribe some form of proton pump inhibitor medication and suggest dietary changes. You can get a general overview of a diet, by looking  at gicare.com and checking in the diet section for a GERD diet.

Lifestyle changes could include, raising the head of your bed, sleeping on your left side and making sure you don't eat for a number of hours before going to bed, etc.

A typical surgery for this problem is the Nissen fundoplication which can have a number of different side-effects depending upon the person. But the question would be, can the operation be done an should it be done. There are a number of tests that need to be done that would rule a person in or out as a candidate for the surgery. And most docs want to try other means of 'control' before resorting to surgery since the surgery will make a number of changes to your life.

Your best best is to consult with a good GI doc and find out where you stand, which means starting with an upper endoscopy.