Gastroenterology Community
GERD

This forum is for questions regarding Gastroenterology issues such as Acid Reflux (GERD), Barretts Esophagus, Colitis, Colon/Bowel Disorders, Crohn's Disease, Diverticulitis/ Diverticulosis, Digestive Disorders and Stomach Pain.

GERD

Does anyone know best medication for GERD? I am using prevacid but does not last all day. My doc told me to take it before bedtime but I have to take before dinner. Otherwis I get pain in chest and the feeling that there is alot of air or gas in middle of chest. I have to stretch and force myelf to burb to try to let it out. It is extremely uncomfortable. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I am 31 and just started having problem this year
MAN it SUCKS !!!
If you can get protonix, it worked the best for me.

Hope you feel better soon!

Ash
There are various medications because each one is slightly different. That means that you may have to try different ones to find the one that will work the best for you and your system.

If you haven't done so already, you should also check out following a GERD diet. Any of the meds are going to be band-aids unless you take other steps to try to help yourself tamp down the conditions that may be underlying the problem. You can find representative examples of what foods to avoid at gicare.com.

Have a Gastro question?
100,000+ doctor answers