Gastroenterology Community
GERD

This forum is for questions regarding Gastroenterology issues such as Acid Reflux (GERD), Barretts Esophagus, Colitis, Colon/Bowel Disorders, Crohn's Disease, Diverticulitis/ Diverticulosis, Digestive Disorders and Stomach Pain.

GERD

I suffer from SOD and recently underwent a Transduodenal sphincteroplasty and transampullary septectomy.  This was a long four years of many tests and hospital visits.  Now I am suffering from acid reflux.  I was put in the hospital a few months ago and an EDG was performed.  It showed a hital hernia and acid reflux.  A few weeks later a Bravo was performed (while still taking stomach meds) which also came back normal.  I have massive chest pain, my throat burns and feels like it closes, I become hoarse at night and cough when I am sleeping if I am not in an elevated position.  Since the Bravo came back normal, my surgeon will not perform the acid reflux surgery.  I am only able to eat certain foods without an attack.  Do you have any suggestions what I can do to get rid of the pain?  I would like a permanent fix that does not require medicine.  Currently I am on 6 different types of pills a day to help control the acid.  I think my GI doctor is done with me, even though I still have this pain.  Please help any suggestions, any names of doctors that would be able to help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you so much,
When the EGD was done, was the damage that was seen due to acid or bile? They may not have made that differentiation, and it could be important. It's possible you could be refluxing bile and not acid - especially considering the SOD and all you've gone through.

If this is not acid reflux, have you tried using any form of aluminum-based products that would hopefully be effective against bile as well as acid. Anything like carafate?
Did you ever find out what was wrong with you? Was it bile reflux? I had a sphincteroplasty and am having some weird symptoms plus the right upper quadrant pain. My surgeon is suggesting a biliary roux en y.