Gastroenterology Community
GGT levels high

This forum is for questions regarding Gastroenterology issues such as Acid Reflux (GERD), Barretts Esophagus, Colitis, Colon/Bowel Disorders, Crohn's Disease, Diverticulitis/ Diverticulosis, Digestive Disorders and Stomach Pain.

GGT levels high

My blood test came back with very high GGT levels on two separate occaisions. I am a very healthy 49 year old male and feel great and have lots of energy. I keep reading a lot about "bile duct obstruction" etc.

Could there be any connection between my high GGT readings and the fact that I had a vasectomy many years ago (20 years now) and am still very active sexually? There have been a couple of occasions in the past 10 years in which I was concerned enough to go to my urologist about some minor pain in the scrotem area and he did say there was some hardening in the duct that stops the sperm from entering the reproductive system and "that it will disolve" and he just told me to take a warm bath and some Ibuprofen.... and that always appears to work fine. And I do not take Ibuprofen on a regular basis nor at the time of my recent blood tests. So, now that the high GGT reading is showing up and I am trying to qualify for preferred status on a large life insurance policy for my business, I need to get some answers why the GGT is so high (200 to 300 range---way out of normal ranges).
The GGT test typically helps to detect liver and bile duct injury - such as the bile duct obstruction you've read about. While some doctors use it in all people they suspect of having liver disease, others use it only to help explain the cause of other changes or if they want to find out about 'alcohol use.' For example, both ALP and GGT are elevated in disease of the bile ducts and in some liver diseases, but only ALP will be elevated in bone disease. If the GGT level is normal in a person with a high ALP, the cause could be bone disease. GGT can also be used to screen for alcohol use. Statistics suggest that it is elevated in about 75% of those who drink fairly regularly or drink too frequently.

If you do drink, I'd suggest you stop and get retested to see if there is a change.

GGT has nothing to do with a vasectomy or sexual activity to my knowledge.
hello,my brother i sick .I found this web address my accident.What does all this mean he is a diabetic too.alkaline phophate level is 153/bil/direct <0.1rdw high 16.8
Thank you so much Roxy