GI issues, IBS, CRP Test increases
Hi all. Not sure if any can help me out or have had similar experiences. Back in 2004, 3 weeks from returning from a trip to Italy I got very sick. It got me so sick that my anxiety leveled increased ten fold. I had really bad acid reflux, bowl issues, etc. GI said IBS, needed more fiber, stress,etc. Was on 10mg lexapro and 40mg protonix. Lost a ton of weight when this happened. Went to GI doctor they ended up doing endoscopy and found polyp on gallbladder. Underwent ultrasounds for awhile to see if polyp was growing. Finally had it removed in 2008 after HIDA scan. Ended up gaining all weight back and more. Was doing ok on and off - still would have bouts with stomach.
Fast forward to this past September. About 3 weeks from a month long trip to Italy - ended up having bowel and stomach issues again. Went to same GI doctor and said IBS, need fiber. They said when they did the endoscopy in 2004 they tested for celiac and came back negative. My dr also did a blood test for gluten intolerance and came back negative. I had been off lexapro for 1 year as well. Problems not getting any better and GI dr was no help so switched to new GI dr who deals with females. Lactose test came back negative, but bacteria test came back positive. Went on rifaximin for a week and also tried prozac. I spiraled downward from there. Iron and vitamin D low. was out of work for a month. Went back on lexapro 10mg and .5mg of klonopin. Started to get better but not at best. GI dr wanted to put me on rifaximin again - felt awful again had diarrhea. Went back to GI dr, recommended FOD MAP diet. Starting to feel better with eliminating gluten, dairy, etc. Then last week had a stomach bug that lasted a week. GI dr sent me for blood work and stool samples. Stool came back negative but my CRP blood test came back elevated. They said last time it was 8.3 and now is 13.7. I go back to DR next week. Any ideas what this could mean? Just very frustrated and want to feel well again.
thanks
If you felt better being off wheat and dairy, go to Enterolab.com and do both the IgA-gliadin and IgA-casein fecal antibody test and see what the results hold. Many, MANY - far too many people for my taste - go through both blood tests and biopsies for gluten issues only to be told they're negative. By the time the small intestine is partially de-nuded of villi and it shows up in a biopsy, gluten issues have to be far advanced. And as far as the blood test, you wouldn't believe what the lousy results are that we find in our medical setting. When there is even a suspicion of gluten issues, I ask our patients to cross-check with that specific test. If IT comes back negative I'm then willing to believe the result and look further into what could be causing the problem.
Thank you for your response. Do you think the CRP test may mean inflammation due to gluten? I will look into the tests you mentioned.