Gall Bladder Surgery for a 91 year old
My 91-year old mother had a gall bladder infection. Since she was on blood thinners they did not remove it, but put in a drain and had her on anti-biotics. In hospltal 2 weeks and in SNF for rehab for 2 and 1/2 weeks. Will go home soon (Assisted Living). Surgeon recommends removing gall bladder, but does not know if it can be done lathroscopically (sp?)  due to other surgeries she has had and the scars they left. She has only one kidney left (partially functioning), has a pacemaker, and is on blood pressure meds as well as something to keep her heart from racing. etc, etc (she is after all, 91!)

Doctor says there is a 50% chance for the infection to recur. WOuld like advice about whether or not to do the surgery.
thank you
This is a tough one.  I don't know if I would want my 91 year old mother to endure any more surgeries.  You know they can cure the infection should it re-occur, and that would be a deciding factor for me.  It's about her quality of life right now, and if she would truly gain anything at this point from surgery other than more pain and the stress it would put on her body.  I know it's a hard decision for you, but I'm sure you know you're on borrowed time, and how do you and her want to spend that time?  She has a 50% chance the infection will not return, I'd look at the glass half full and enjoy seeing your mother not suffering and fighting for one more day.  Blessings to you both and take care....
Hi, I happened upon your post.  My 17yr old had hers out awhile ago so GB is all too familiar and at diff. spectrums of ages!  I have gallstones and in my 50's.  

Is there a possible change in diet to go fat-free that may help?  That is something I'd ask and get a 2nd opinion given her age and full blown surgery.

Good luck ... and please let me know  how she's doing.

C~
update: decided to have the surgery on 91-year old because infections don't present "normally" for older people, so she could get really sick, really fast (which was what happened at first) plus the 50% chance or recurrence. Surgery was Friday 6/18 and they did it laproscopically. Took longer than expected (I think they had to abandon a few holes due to scar tissue). Anyway, it went well, recovery seems to be going well. At home now (2 nights in hospital) and able to get around on her own - way better than traditional surgery.